Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes in 2024 for Ubuntu
(11-13-2023, 09:24 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: Thoughts
Ubuntu are using appimages built with the old RockRidge file system to construct new OS's. I think this upends the Unix file structure by creating little unix file systems inside other unix file systems. The Gimp snap is well over 1.2 gb in size. Why does it have to contain so many system files? Script-based packaging can make huge files because all the files have dependencies. Eventually Ubuntu snaps will be dependent on other snaps or each snap will carry most of the system files.
I think the word 'snap' is actually 'secure appimage'. Possibly Ubuntu is trying to be faster than MXLinux which is pretty fast :Smile wonder what Debian makes of all this Smile

I think the benefit of snap (for Ubuntu) it that it avoids dependency problems, since you can have different versions of libraries in the various snaps. The other side of the coin is that if there is a fix for a library you have to fix all the snaps instead of publishing a single fix for the library.
I got python2 working in an Ubuntu snap.
Rich the files you listed were missing. Thanks for your help.

I got python-console working by adding this to line 1 of the file:

#!/usr/bin/env python

I've seen ofnuts recommend that in other posts. I noticed his python scripts were loading while others were not.  Smile

(11-15-2023, 03:31 AM)(followed by antTas_mania Wrote: I got python2 working in an Ubuntu snap.
Rich the files you listed were missing. Thanks for your help.

I got python-console working by adding this to line 1 of the file:

#!/usr/bin/env python

I've seen ofnuts recommend that in other posts. I noticed his python scripts were loading while others were not.  Smile

The #! <some executable> in the first line of the file is known as the "shebang". Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't rely on the file extension to tell if the file is executable or not, it checks the executable flag. If the file is a binary in ELF format, it is loaded/executed, otherwise, it's first line is searched for a shebang and if so, the executable mentioned there is started with the file passed as a first argument (followed by all arguments to the initial command).

Note that in my version of the python-console.py (built from the Gimp sources), the shebang uses python2 and not just python because python is becoming the command to launch Python v3, which wouldn't work with Gimp.
Thanks ofnuts, 
you guys have a limitless ability to share knowledge. I agree python2 would be better in this shebang, then I would not have deleted all of python3 Smile  It's probably in the snap for a reason.
I want to make a Gimp python2 file pack that could be dropped into snaps. Maybe fork the snapcrafters gimp project.
I made and uploaded a python2 'drop-in pack' to my github to help ivan-hc build Gimp appimages.

He made a Debian-based Gimp 2.10.36 with python2. It works OK for me but I'm sticking with my Ubuntu-deb-based Gimp because it's solid and all plugins are in the right place Smile

Ivan's is smaller in size so I recommend it for older systems.