Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10.8 brush paint loads uneven
I have to admit I'm struggling a bit with Gimp "two ten" as I like to call it; can't seem to get the hang of making and saving my own brushes. Nor am I liking all the new fly-out menus. I'd love to find shortcuts to get past many of them...

My current problem is the way a zero hardness brush loads paint on a canvas. I'm getting these blobs of pure saturation with little to no paint at the edges.  My goal is an even spread of paint with zero hardness. This brush looks more like 80% hardness or something.

I use an old trusty laptop with touchpad- no pen or tablet; 2gb of video ram with an integrated video card.

I'm pretty sure it's either a Gimp bug or more likely, my settings are wrong- would appreciate some correction and guidance.

I do know one thing for certain- Gimp has changed so much since 2.6 I have to relearn it. Well done dev chaps!

cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Wood_Goat02 Wrote: My goal is an even spread of paint with zero hardness.

A bit of a contradiction in requirements there. A hard brush will give an even spread of paint. The softer a brush is, the less even the spread is. Less paint at the edges. You have 2 extremes: 0 hardness and 100 force.

I suggest leaving the force on 50 for now. That is more like what you have been used to.

The Pencil Tool will give the most even spread of paint. But it has very hard edges. Use the Paint Brush and play with the hardness to get the effect you want.
You could try reducing the force to a low value, that makes for an even spread although obviously the color suffers.

A better bet might be investigating the mypaint brushes, a watercolor brush would work.

examples: https://i.imgur.com/ISbdvNP.jpg

and nearly forgot the smudge tool, this now works like a brush when the flow setting is a small-ish value.

https://i.imgur.com/3HLHBEn.jpg
(12-15-2018, 07:21 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Wood_Goat02 Wrote: My goal is an even spread of paint with zero hardness.

A bit of a contradiction in requirements there. A hard brush will give an even spread of paint. The softer a brush is, the less even the spread is. Less paint at the edges. You have 2 extremes: 0 hardness and 100 force.

I suggest leaving the force on 50 for now. That is more like what you have been used to.

The Pencil Tool will give the most even spread of paint. But it has very hard edges. Use the Paint Brush and play with the hardness to get the effect you want.

Ah yes thanks! I don't recall dealing with the "force" option before, could be something I simply didn't know existed and it never affected my  brushes. I was wondering about it so I'm not surprised it's affected my brush. I figured it was something I was doing wrong- so much new stuff to work out and trial! Phew!

(12-15-2018, 08:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You could try reducing the force to a low value, that makes for an even spread although obviously the color suffers.

A better bet might be investigating the mypaint brushes, a watercolor brush would work.

examples:  https://i.imgur.com/ISbdvNP.jpg

and nearly forgot the smudge tool, this now works like a brush when the flow setting is a small-ish value.

https://i.imgur.com/3HLHBEn.jpg

Thanks, I'll try the watercolor brushes- my favorite tool is the smudge tool; I use it constantly in Gimp and PS and always thought the Gimp smudge tool worked better than the PS one.

Lots of new learning to do of an old friend- Gimp!

cheers and thanks again
Quote:...my favorite tool is the smudge tool; I use it constantly in Gimp and PS and always thought the Gimp smudge tool worked better than the PS one. ..

A reminder on this because it came up recently.

For smudge to work as legacy Gimp 2.8 smudge, flow needs setting to zero. This can be overlooked when Tool Options are set to "Save on Exit"

There is a plus, the new smudge works in linear mode and does not have those dark boundaries you can get in RGB mode.
Don't forget that you can set the opacity of the brush, so you can have see-through and even spread: