Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some old pixel art done in GIMP(2019-2020)
Hi all, at the risk of being a doofus, i wanted to share some work i did a few years back(I think it is better quality than what i have shared before). I want to post it somewhere, instead of letting it rot on my hard drive. It is pixel art from a collab that never got published.

Here is the collab: https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=31210.0

I'm not a very experienced pixel artist, so participating in this collab was a good learning experience for me, and taught me a lot about GIMP and graphic art in general. Sadly, i haven't been doing as much graphic art lately, though I do occasionally still find the opportunity to open GIMP for one reason or another, and very much appreciate that this software exists. Anyway let me post images:

T2 Mirage:

T7 RNA Stream:

T31 Dr. Devil(MD):

T40 Hoax Man:

...well, I'm not sure how to upscale the attachments in the post, and i kind of prefer to submit in the original size. Maybe there is a way to magnify in the BB prefs? IDK, if people respond with interest, I can provide some progress shots and reference stuff illustrating the process i used.

Take Care!
No biters then? Oh well, I understand; the more i look at them, the more i find little nitpicks. Two are actually still WIP. Actually, i posted an old version of Mirage(i'm just not happy with the way it started looking).

here is the last version:

I'm just not happy with how the caravan ended up looking; i think i maybe got the perspective wrong. There were though some other changes too, that I think were positive.

If anyone is genuinely interested in my process, i do have some screenshots and intermediate exports i could share, though it's mostly pretty simple stuff: layers, paths, channels, color-select, fill selection with color, merge layers. ...path-to-selection, etc.

I'm happy to leave it at that then.
Why gif and not WebP?
Your intention was to have few colors?

gif ➤ https://ibb.co/0ZPdSb2
animated webp ➤ https://ibb.co/S7X4nJG
Patrice
Right, i understand webp is actually a superior format, though the main goal of the pixel collab i was drawing for was more aligned with the mindset of pixelart as artform preservation(ie retro-style pixelart).

On that note, it turns out GIMP is actually a great program for making old style pixel art.

Also, about WebP, I think it's cool, though it's not really supported all that much - at least plenty of platforms don't support it(like my old mac). It would be smart if gimp.org published a WebP viewer applet. Otherwise i can't view them on my desktop. Sad
All browsers after 2020 support it.
It's not GIMP who should provide a viewer but Google, (WebP is from Google)
XnViewMP (free for personal use)  or digikam does see WebP as many other free viewer
Anyway I'm on Linux, I have no problem to see webp with Caja (file browser)
Patrice
(05-16-2024, 03:40 PM)TumbleRocks Wrote: Right, i understand webp is actually a superior format, though the main goal of the pixel collab i was drawing for was more aligned with the mindset of pixelart as artform preservation(ie retro-style pixelart).

On that note, it turns out GIMP is actually a great program for making old style pixel art.

Also, about WebP, I think it's cool, though it's not really supported all that much - at least plenty of platforms don't support it(like my old mac). It would be smart if gimp.org published a WebP viewer applet. Otherwise i can't view them on my desktop. Sad

You can always open them with your internet browser.