Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search for a font - Rebuilding the font with Gimp
Ok, thank you.
(07-30-2018, 03:44 PM)KevKiev Wrote: I followed the 2 links to gimp.chat etc. but the links in the resulting pages, to Gimp Scripts for downloading those bevel tools, don't seem to be working.  Just got a "Server Not Found" message.

Plug-ins and Scripts go in your Gimp Profile
Examples for Windows:
Gimp 2.8: C:/Users/your name/.gimp-2.8
Gimp 2.10: C:/Users/your name/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10

What goes where:
Plug-Ins Folder: .py  .exe .dll
Scripts Folder: .scm

Notes for Bevel Reflect Logo:
ML Bevel Reflect must be installed before using Bevel Reflect Logo.
Then use Bevel Reflect Logo, not ML Bevel Reflect.

Attached Files
.zip   GTBevel_2-8.zip (Size: 2.62 KB / Downloads: 114)
.zip   GTBevel_2-10.zip (Size: 2.74 KB / Downloads: 119)
.zip   BevelReflectLogo.zip (Size: 24.56 KB / Downloads: 115)
Fantastic! Thanks very much Blighty.
Hello,
I tried to trace the logo with Bezier curves. See my result. Then with GT Bevel I tried to simulate the structure. I am not quite satisfied yet, as the lines are partly angular, which is clearly visible at GT-Bevel.
Is there a possibility to adapt the lines more energetic and without corners and edges?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.xcf   SisJud-Logo1-Linie.xcf (Size: 870.09 KB / Downloads: 133)
.xcf   SisJud-Logo1-Farbe.xcf (Size: 345.74 KB / Downloads: 141)
The problem with using scripts is always, you get what you are given.

For more roundedness, you might have to revert back to basic bumpmapping and not only once.
'Extras' can be added by repeating with a different bumpmap.

Gimp bumpmapping is unfortunately destructive, my advice work on duplicated layers and build the image up.

Those little embellishments will be very faint as a bumpmap. extra white will bump upwards, grey will depress.

This as an an example, your image, paths and channels, but starting with a flat coloured shape

[Image: fQcBvht.jpg]

attached as a gimp .xcf.gz 

FWIW, my opinion, do not try too hard to replicate the original, obviously been scaled up and down a few times and is somewhat degraded.

Attached Files
.gz   logo2.xcf.gz (Size: 662.54 KB / Downloads: 138)
(08-13-2018, 01:01 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The problem with using scripts is always, you get what you are given.

For more roundedness, you might have to revert back to basic bumpmapping and not only once.
'Extras' can be added by repeating with a different bumpmap.

Gimp bumpmapping is unfortunately destructive, my advice work on duplicated layers and build the image up.

Those little embellishments will be very faint as a bumpmap. extra white will bump upwards, grey will depress.

This as an an example, your image, paths and channels, but starting with a flat coloured shape

[Image: fQcBvht.jpg]

attached as a gimp .xcf.gz 

FWIW, my opinion, do not try too hard to replicate the original, obviously been scaled up and down a few times and is somewhat degraded.
Good morning,

and thanks for your example. It's nice. To be able to build your example, I'm interested in how you built the layer "bumpmap01" with the shadow. The same for the level "bumpmap2".

Since I want to scale the image later, because I need it on large posters, I need it as a vector graphic. Can this approach be done with Inkscape as well?
I made the bump maps like this from the paths:

I would make the groups 'S' 'J' 'is' and 'ud' separately. The very thin characters need less blurring.

But an example for the S - Made a selection, Used the gradient tool with shaped path (spherical) mode. Does not matter where you paint the gradient, the result is the same. Selection off, Give it a Gaussian blur.

[Image: osiuqRS.jpg]

The little embellishments are very faint. for example the ridge in the S. Selection from path, shrink selection, apply selection -> Feather Edges, fill with white. Then the opacity reduced to suit.

[Image: 18OBg4f.jpg]

If you can, upgrade to Gimp 2.10.4 The effects, blurring, bump-mapping, work on the canvas. Much easier to judge settings.

I agree with you, a svg in inkscape is the best way. Not going to easy to create from scratch. I would ask advice on the inkscape forum http://www.inkscapeforum.com/ not a lot of activity there these days, but they might be able to help.
Thanks very much for it!
I thought I would have one last go, this time to see how difficult Inkscape could be. Not easy at all, lots of fumbling in the filter editor to get this:

The svg is attached (without gradient background), however being a Inkscape not-very-standard svg because of the filters, it does not open in Gimp. Export from Inkscape at whatever size required as a png.

Best of luck

Attached Files
.svg   ink-sis-2.svg (Size: 5.01 KB / Downloads: 128)
It looks nice and it's good to listen for the possibility. I will try try by myself, because I have to understand it. Thanks very much!