Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't copy and paste
hi all

can you please help

i'm trying to do the simplest thing in the world (copy and paste in gimp 2.10.18)

it won't do it (i've done it before so i know how to do it Smile

let me prove it Wink
i select the rectangle select tool
i chose the section
control c
control v
nothing happens

i noticed at the bottom it says; "unable to cut or copy because the selected region is empty"

what could i be doing wrong

sorry to bother you with such a stupid question

thx
Always best if you provide a screenshot of the problem. Gimp 2.10.18 - Are you using linux ? It should not make any difference, a bit old but ok.

A common cause is making a selection outside of the layer boundary. This one, the active layer is "blue" . You try and make a selection thinking it is the top layer (which masks lower layers) The selection is outside the "blue" layer and you get that error.

Always be aware of the active layer. Gimp shows layer boundaries as a dotted line when the layer is active.
This is because there is no point in the selection that falls in the layer boundary (or form the other point of view, no pixel in the layer under the selection mask), and by default "Copy" is "Copy the part of the active layer which is in the selection".

So either you want to make the proper layer active, or you use Edit > Copy visible (Ctrl-Shift-C) so that Gimp copies whatever falls in the selection.
(05-10-2024, 03:17 AM)977 Wrote: hi all

can you please help

i'm trying to do the simplest thing in the world (copy and paste in gimp 2.10.18)

it won't do it (i've done it before so i know how to do it Smile

let me prove it Wink
i select the rectangle select tool
i chose the section
control c
control v
nothing happens

i noticed at the bottom it says; "unable to cut or copy because the selected region is empty"

what could i be doing wrong

sorry to bother you with such a stupid question

thx
Make sure that the selection mode isn't set to "Subtract from the current selection" or "Intersect with the current selection".
hi guys

thanks for responding. yes i just didn't have the correct layer selected. thank you

[closed thread]