Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp 2.10.36 appimages with python and mathmap
(01-06-2024, 04:49 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: I wonder if ivan-hc's AppImage works on your Ubuntu Mate 20.04?
https://github.com/ivan-hc/GIMP-appimage...ous-hybrid

the ivan-hc's 2.10.36 works, but not loading any script nor plugins even, though I can access the python console
the continuous dev version 2.99.16 from ivan-hc, behave the same > no script nor python are loading and same I can access the python console
Patrice
Hi PixLab, there is probably not much difference between Gimp 2.10.34 and 2.10.36 [Image: smile.png]
and maybe you will get some new hardware soon.

You said
Quote:I hate snaps, thus my reticence to upgrade to 22.04

On Xubuntu installing a gimp snap means plugins and scripts go in a sub folder under '$HOME/snap'.
With Firefox I type 'sudo apt install firefox'. It changes that to 'sudo snap install firefox' and copies your firefox profile from the .mozilla directory and puts it into another snap sub-dir. It also doesn't tell you what it did. That is supposed to be progress?

I think changing commands is unethical and they shouldn't do it.

For Gimp on Ubuntu-based distros we have an apt version, a flatpak, a snap and appimages. Canonical seem to be publishing both apt and snap versions of Gimp for 24.04 and it looks like they are not supporting the Gimp-developed flatpak. (or flatpaks generally)

If anyone likes using firefox from an AppImage I now use an 'esr' version from here.
(01-08-2024, 02:16 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: If anyone likes using firefox from an AppImage I now use an 'esr' version from here.

In addition to slimjet browser (I know, but it was the default browser when I used PClinuxOS and I got used to it)

I also have a locally generated 'portable' firefox - just for internet banking and NHS use. When the bank pesters for a firefox update, easy to transpose the cache from old to new version.
(01-08-2024, 02:16 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: Canonical seem to be publishing both apt and snap versions of Gimp for 24.04 and it looks like they are not supporting the Gimp-developed flatpak. (or flatpaks generally)
.[/url]

Flatpak is a Red Hat thing, snap a Canonical thing, and it looks like it's a kind of "silent war" between them... Big Grin
Patrice
Quote:Flatpak is a Red Hat thing, snap a Canonical thing

Hi PixLab I thought I would check because I didn't know. Flatpak is an independent open source community apparently.
Snapcraft is a Canonical thing Smile

My Xubuntu updates now offers 'Ubuntu Pro' which is some corporate server stuff I don't need to do graphics. 

(01-17-2024, 02:33 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:Flatpak is a Red Hat thing, snap a Canonical thing
Hi PixLab I thought I would check because I didn't know. Flatpak is an independent open source community apparently.

On this very page > May 2016 Wink

Yes, it's a community project, this does not mean that Red Hat is not involved, for instance Alexander Larsson, the guy who invented Flatpak is working for Red Hat, since 2001 and "Glick" was release in 2007... https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/users/Alexander-Larsson Big Grin

EDIT: I just learned that Red Hat is stopping supporting LibreOffice, that's sad, very sad Sad
I started my journey with LO back to StarOffice 5.1 or 5.2, it was layering over the full desktop on Win98/millenium, it was cool, then when it became OpenOffice they did remove that Desktop effect..
Ha... souvenir - souvenir, that was the time when you can input in the CMD format C: on windoze, nowadays Micro$oft forbids you to delete their OS from their OS Wink
Patrice