Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Transparent Window to Existing
I've searched all over and I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I have a PNG image of an airplane fuselage with two windows that are transparent. All I want to do is to add a third window between them, and I can't make it work. I've read that I need to create a new layer and 'Add Alpha Channel' but that option is greyed out. I also read that if I do Windows --> Dockable Dialogs --> Channels and see 'Alpha' as an option (which is there) that means the Alpha Channel has already been added, which I guess makes sense because there are already two 'windows' on the image that are transparent.

With that information, could someone please walk me through the steps to create a third window that will be transparent? The online videos and help I've found show me how to remove the background around a part of an image to make it transparent, but that's not what I need in this case.

Thank you very much for your help!
(07-13-2024, 04:12 PM)DestructZero Wrote: I've searched all over and I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I have a PNG image of an airplane fuselage with two windows that are transparent. All I want to do is to add a third window between them, and I can't make it work. I've read that I need to create a new layer and 'Add Alpha Channel' but that option is greyed out. I also read that if I do Windows --> Dockable Dialogs --> Channels and see 'Alpha' as an option (which is there) that means the Alpha Channel has already been added, which I guess makes sense because there are already two 'windows' on the image that are transparent.

With that information, could someone please walk me through the steps to create a third window that will be transparent? The online videos and help I've found show me how to remove the background around a part of an image to make it transparent, but that's not what I need in this case.

Thank you very much for your help!

Without an image as an example I am left with assumptions.
What I could suggest with the idea I have in mind about the situation is that you could use ready-made images like those found for example at: https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vect...ransparent
Another option would be to use the Clone Tool and copy one of the windows to create the third.  Clone Heal
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Do you want full transparent or half transparent. Full is just select an area and delete the selection. Half is by copy the selection to a new layer and delete the selection on the plane. Then make the new layer half transparent so you can see the background (here faces in the example)  

It is better if you post the image or if greater than 500kb a link to the image.

Some pointers. 
When a layer has an alpha channel, transparency, the layer name is normal type. No transparency, the layer name is in bold type. (3)

A different check is Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel. When that is "greyed-out" the layer already has transparency.

Then it depends on your image. Not all downloads are truthful. Transparency is usually denoted in graphics as a checker pattern. Sometimes that pattern is "baked-into" the image (1). That is not transparency. Transparency in Gimp will show solid underlying layers (2)