Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing the palette in the Color Exchange "To Color" and "From Color" dialogues
Hello!  I'm using the Color Exchange feature quite heavily in my current project, and since I have a limited number of colors to use in this project, it's important to have the specific palette I'm using show up when I use Color Exchange.

Steps to reproduce: 

- activate the Color Exchange (Colors > Map > Color Exchange....)
  - the Color Exchange box appears
- select the eyedropper next to "To Color" or "From Color"
  - the "To Color" box appears
- click the Palette icon

In pictures!

My question is, how do I control which palette of colors is shown when I do this?  Sometimes it's the active palette, but often it's not.

Thanks in advance!
As far as I can tell this is the palette loaded by default when Gimp is started (could be a bug... or at least expecting the current palette as you do makes at least as much sense).

You can set your favorite palette to be the palette by default either by setting as the palette and exiting Gimp (if it is set to save options on exit) or ask Gimp to save options now. See Managing tool options and window positions for details. You will still have to restart Gimp at least once.
Video 
I found this question very interesting so I tried to find some ways to proceed in this case.

Here in the 40-second video I demonstrate an alternative that I found and I hope it is useful.

Video --➤ https://imgur.com/G3Jlqr9
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Thanks to both of you for these responses! They were very helpful.

I played around with it a little more, and it seems that if I select the palette I'm using before closing Gimp, when it reopens it uses that palette in the To Color and From Color dialogues. Quitting isn't the end of the world, so that's how I'll likely proceed.

@Krikor, your video was very instructive, and while it's a few more steps and I'm less likely to use it, it's good to know how to get there if I need to.
(08-23-2024, 12:13 AM)heumann Wrote: .....snip......and it seems that if I select the palette I'm using before closing Gimp, when it reopens it uses that palette in the To Color and From Color dialogues.  ....

That is the way Gimp works by default. Most tool options are retained for the next session. Great for experienced users but often leads to the very-frequent "why have my tool options disappeared" question from the beginner Wink

This just for general palette usage.
You can open the palette editor from the palette dock or by double-click on a palette.
A click on a colour in the editor sets the FG swatch (under the tools)
A ctrl-click on a colour sets the BG swatch

In the Color Exchange Dialogue a right-click in either From Color or To Color gives options for FG / BG / black / white

...and a 30 second demo of that https://i.imgur.com/L61zoEd.mp4

I do realise it all depends on images and workflow, just for info.
(08-23-2024, 07:50 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(08-23-2024, 12:13 AM)heumann Wrote: .....snip......and it seems that if I select the palette I'm using before closing Gimp, when it reopens it uses that palette in the To Color and From Color dialogues.  ....

That is the way Gimp works by default.   Most tool options are retained for the next session. Great for experienced users but often leads to the very-frequent "why have my tool options disappeared" question from the beginner Wink

This just for general palette usage.
You can open the palette editor from the palette dock or by double-click on a palette.
A click on a colour in the editor sets the FG swatch (under the tools)
A ctrl-click on a colour sets the BG swatch

In the Color Exchange Dialogue a right-click in either From Color or To Color gives options for FG  / BG / black / white

...and a 30 second demo of that https://i.imgur.com/L61zoEd.mp4

I do realise it all depends on images and workflow, just for info.

rich2005,

Excellent alternative!! clap clap clap Idea

Thx.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.