Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color working method help
Hi,

I'm working in GIMP built-in sRGB, 16-bit non-linear integer.
Converting to an 8-bit non-linear integer in Adobe RGB 1998.

Code:
(iccPth "/home/mark/Artwork/Misc/Adobe ICC Profiles (end-user)/RGB/")
(icc (string-append iccPth "AdobeRGB1998.icc"))
(intent COLOR-RENDERING-INTENT-PERCEPTUAL)
(bpc 1)

(gimp-image-convert-precision dstImg PRECISION-U8-NON-LINEAR)
(gimp-image-convert-color-profile-from-file dstImg icc intent bpc)

And then export as a jpeg without any soft-proofing.

However the exported jpeg looks different in Krita and Image Magick to GIMP,
in Krita and Image Magick the colors are less chromatic, which is what I'd expect.

Anything obvious that might cause this jpeg to look different in GIMP?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:However the exported jpeg looks different in Krita and Image Magick to GIMP,
in Krita and Image Magick the colors are less chromatic, which is what I'd expect.

It might just be a Gimp 2.99 thing, however a jpeg exported with Adobe 1998 rgb icc shows here a little more vibrant than an imageviewer which does not honour the image icc - it used a screen RGB.  I can measure that.

I can also possibly understand that shift in Gimp when using the Adobe (1998) icc.  Krita has a useful icc utility and the Adobe envelope is slightly larger than built-in Gimp sRGB  A comparison.

While I have a Gimp 2.99.16 (appimage) to play with, why not use Gimp 2.10.34 ?
(09-24-2023, 02:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:However the exported jpeg looks different in Krita and Image Magick to GIMP,

It might just be a Gimp 2.99 thing, however a jpeg exported with Adobe 1998 rgb icc shows here a little more vibrant than an imageviewer which does not honour the image icc - it used a screen RGB.  I can measure that.

I can also possibly understand that shift in Gimp when using the Adobe (1998) icc.  Krita has a useful icc utility and the Adobe envelope is slightly larger than built-in Gimp sRGB  A comparison.

While I have a Gimp 2.99.16 (appimage) to play with, why not use Gimp 2.10.34 ?

Thanks, it does look  more like Krita and Image Magick in GIMP 2.10.30.
You surprised me with the adobe envelope being larger, I'd assumed it was smaller, being recommended for printing. 
I still don't get it though, the same jpeg looks significantly different in GIMP Dev, and one website, than it does in several other apps and another website.  I guess there's multiple factors involved, behind the scenes.