Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorizing a black n white drawing
Hello !

I opened a black n white drawing in GIMP, created a colorisation layer, turned mode to "multiply"...and now it appears that if I want to use more than one color with the airbrush tool, things get weird. See Screenshot !

Thanks in advance for your help !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Why do you set the layer to 'multiply' ?
Is the weird bit that section of "hard edge" between red and green. I can't reproduce that. The hardness 050 brush feathers between the colours. Good screenshot, shows all the parameters. Layer mode Darken Only much the same as Multiply to bring out the black drawing.

Maybe if you post the xcf, a two layer 1200x1623 image is not that large.
(08-29-2024, 10:54 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Is the weird bit that section of "hard edge" between red and green. I can't reproduce that. The hardness 050 brush feathers between the colours. Good screenshot, shows all the parameters. Layer mode Darken Only much the same as Multiply to bring out the black drawing.

Maybe if you post the xcf, a two layer 1200x1623 image is not that large.

Thanks for your help but changing from "multiply" to Darken Only doen't solve the issue. Please find attached my xcf file, maybe you can find out what's wrong ! Thanks in advance !

Attached Files
.xcf   preview-auriel-essai-color-mini.xcf (Size: 639.66 KB / Downloads: 23)
Hi it's me again. I restarted from scratch and now it seems to work ! Only question : is it possible to use this "multiply" method with different color layers ? Shit started to hit the fan when I tried to do it !
[attachment=12318 Wrote:uenoeki54 pid='40126' dateline='1724942792']Hi it's me again. I restarted from scratch and now it seems to work ! Only question : is it possible to use this "multiply" method with different color layers ? Shit started to hit the fan when I tried to do it !  

Just take it a step further.  Use a layer group where each colour is in its own layer. Only the layer group is in multiply mode.

...but remember each colour layer paints over the layers  underneath it, so start at the bottom and work up.

Something like this and a .xcf.gz attached as an example.

Attached Files
.gz   mini.xcf.gz (Size: 264.68 KB / Downloads: 13)
(08-29-2024, 02:46 PM)uenoeki54 Wrote: Hi it's me again. I restarted from scratch and now it seems to work ! Only question : is it possible to use this "multiply" method with different color layers ? Shit started to hit the fan when I tried to do it !

Thanks man !!! Perfect !! I will try this out !! Have a nice evening !!!