Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot adjust colors...from balance to curves........
Just curious.  I installed the latest available version of Gimp today - 2.10.34.  Using the latest update of Windows.  Have an image, a jpg, and am pasting another small jpg image onto a separate layer. Gimp will now not allow me to adjust Any of the color functions after pasting another item into the image?  Tried selecting it among other things - many times - did nothing.  The strange thing - if I attempt to adjust the colors separately - i.e. - without pasting one image into another image on separate layers - the color adjustments work properly.  This is the point - I need to adjust the colors, with the pasted item in place, so I can match the colors and brightness with the other layers.  Never had this problem happen when I used to use Photoshop.  For your consideration - I thank you.
Just for your info. The latest available/stable version of gimp in the 10 series is 2.10.38

Make sure your image modes are in RGB/A and not index or other. Then make sure you have the correct layer selected for your editing.
Have you checked that there is no selection?
If under selection - 'none is notgreyed out, you do. Also I read in here recently that you can go to Image > Guides > new guides from selection, will show you where it is if it is a small one.

Smile
Have you select the right layer to change the colour on and is 'Mode' of the layer set to 'Normal?
Well, best to forget PS procedures, Gimp is not a PS clone.

As previous posts , could be all sorts of things, A screenshot of the whole Gimp interface, including the layers dock and tool options dock often gives clue. First thing to check is for a tiny active selection, Check Select -> None.

But then for copy / paste instead of ctrl-c / ctrl-v Start off using the Gimp menus and use Edit -> Paste as New Layer or Edit -> Paste in Place options.

Often a better way to add the smaller image is File -> Open as Layers That saves a copy / paste.

As a very short animation https://i.imgur.com/OMXlkhY.mp4
(07-29-2024, 07:53 AM)Joe Wrote: Just curious.  I installed the latest available version of Gimp today - 2.10.34.  Using the latest update of Windows.  Have an image, a jpg, and am pasting another small jpg image onto a separate layer. Gimp will now not allow me to adjust Any of the color functions after pasting another item into the image?  Tried selecting it among other things - many times - did nothing.  The strange thing - if I attempt to adjust the colors separately - i.e. - without pasting one image into another image on separate layers - the color adjustments work properly.  This is the point - I need to adjust the colors, with the pasted item in place, so I can match the colors and brightness with the other layers.  Never had this problem happen when I used to use Photoshop.  For your consideration - I thank you.

Check that a Floating Selection was not created during the operation of pasting the new image.
If this has happened:

1- Click to create a new layer;
or
2- Click on the anchor icon, found in the layers dock at the bottom among the available icons.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(07-29-2024, 09:47 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Just for your info. The latest available/stable version of gimp in the 10 series is 2.10.38

Make sure your image modes are in RGB/A and not index or other. Then make sure you have the correct layer selected for your editing.
If under selection - 'none is notgreyed out, you do. Also I read in here recently that you can go to Image > Guides > new guides from selection, will show you where it is if it is a small one.

Well - now I have 2.10.38.  Checked all of features you mentioned.  There are some changes now - sort of. 
Two of the items that I used most were Hue-saturation and Levels.  Funny thing, now Hue-saturation is no longer working - but the levels control is.  Most of the other features seem to be restored.  Thank you for the much needed advice.

(07-29-2024, 09:50 AM)denzjos Wrote: Have you select the right layer to change the colour on and is 'Mode' of the layer set to 'Normal?

Right layer selected, both images are RGB mode.

(07-29-2024, 10:28 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Well, best to forget PS procedures, Gimp is not a PS clone.

As previous posts , could be all sorts of things, A screenshot of the whole Gimp interface, including the layers dock and tool options dock often gives clue. First thing to check is for a tiny active selection, Check Select -> None.

But then for copy / paste instead of ctrl-c / ctrl-v Start off using the Gimp menus and use Edit -> Paste as New Layer or Edit -> Paste in Place options.

Often a better way to add the smaller image is File -> Open as Layers That saves a copy / paste.

As a very short animation  https://i.imgur.com/OMXlkhY.mp4

Rich,
Appreciate the tips.  I shall give those a shot.  This program does some interesting things.  Please don't take this the wrong way - this program is beginning to remind me of "The Cone of Silence" from the vintage Get Smart TV show.

(07-29-2024, 01:30 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(07-29-2024, 07:53 AM)Joe Wrote: Just curious.  I installed the latest available version of Gimp today - 2.10.34.  Using the latest update of Windows.  Have an image, a jpg, and am pasting another small jpg image onto a separate layer. Gimp will now not allow me to adjust Any of the color functions after pasting another item into the image?  Tried selecting it among other things - many times - did nothing.  The strange thing - if I attempt to adjust the colors separately - i.e. - without pasting one image into another image on separate layers - the color adjustments work properly.  This is the point - I need to adjust the colors, with the pasted item in place, so I can match the colors and brightness with the other layers.  Never had this problem happen when I used to use Photoshop.  For your consideration - I thank you.

Check that a Floating Selection was not created during the operation of pasting the new image.
If this has happened:

or
2- Click on the anchor icon, found in the layers dock at the bottom among the available icons.

(07-29-2024, 11:02 PM)Joe Wrote:
(07-29-2024, 09:47 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Just for your info. The latest available/stable version of gimp in the 10 series is 2.10.38

Well - now I have 2.10.38.  Checked all of features you mentioned.  There are some changes now - sort of. 
Two of the items that I used most were Hue-saturation and Levels.  Funny thing, now Hue-saturation is no longer working - but the levels control is.  Most of the other features seem to be restored.  Thank you for the much needed advice.

(07-29-2024, 09:50 AM)denzjos Wrote: Have you select the right layer to change the colour on and is 'Mode' of the layer set to 'Normal?

Right layer selected, both images are RGB mode.

(07-29-2024, 10:28 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Well, best to forget PS procedures, Gimp is not a PS clone.

As a very short animation  https://i.imgur.com/OMXlkhY.mp4

Rich,
Appreciate the tips.  I shall give those a shot.  This program does some interesting things.  Please don't take this the wrong way - this program is beginning to remind me of "The Cone of Silence" from the vintage Get Smart TV show.

(07-29-2024, 01:30 PM)Krikor Wrote:

If this has happened:

or

Krikor,
Just learned how to check that - a new shortcut for me.  Control L.  No floating selection.
(07-29-2024, 07:53 AM)Joe Wrote: Just curious.  I installed the latest available version of Gimp today - 2.10.34.  Using the latest update of Windows.  Have an image, a jpg, and am pasting another small jpg image onto a separate layer. Gimp will now not allow me to adjust Any of the color functions after pasting another item into the image?  Tried selecting it among other things - many times - did nothing.  The strange thing - if I attempt to adjust the colors separately - i.e. - without pasting one image into another image on separate layers - the color adjustments work properly.  This is the point - I need to adjust the colors, with the pasted item in place, so I can match the colors and brightness with the other layers.  Never had this problem happen when I used to use Photoshop.  For your consideration - I thank y

Another installment to this post.  
Now half of the items for use in the filter section, of all of my filter functions are now grayed out.  Some functions are still there - sort of.  Is someone kidding with this?  Wow...
(07-30-2024, 12:12 AM)Joe Wrote: ...snip....
Another installment to this post.  
Now half of the items for use in the filter section, of all of my filter functions are now grayed out.  Some functions are still there - sort of.  Is someone kidding with this?  Wow...

Wow.. indeed. Gimp is not sentient, It only does what the users enters.

You could save a lot of guesswork if you posted a screenshot, however best guess in this case when (say) Filters -> Artistic are 'greyed - out' is check on the Image -> Mode

If Indexed change it to RGB (as Sallyanne indicated in an earlier post)