Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copying and pasting from the Internet
(01-26-2024, 06:57 PM)rich2005 Wrote: This is something that really annoys me. All those websites that say free-png-something and show images with a "fake" checker background. All about getting a sign-up for your details.

What you might get initially is an image that "depicts" transparency with a checker background. To get a correct image with transparency you jump-through-hoops and with a bit of luck get it. 

Transparency - an alpha mask - does not have to be a chequer pattern, it might show as white or black or checks depending on viewer. Typically a web-browser shows white.

Even Gimp allows you to change it in Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Display -> Transparency - Check style. 

I use a light setting as (1) I can take a screenshot of that and displayed it "looks" exactly the same in Gimp (2) and also in a viewer (4) The same viewer will show the correct image with transparency as a checker background (3)

Does that make any sense ? Blame the greedy web sites.

Another simple method to check for fake transparency is to move the layer with the Move tool. If the checkerboard moves along, it is fake.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Copying and pasting from the Internet - by Ofnuts - 01-27-2024, 01:44 AM