Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating multiple image cell frames
Hello again everyone!

Believe it or not I am trying to learn GIMP on my own but I still struggle with simple things.

I would like to go from this

to this

and save 120 image frames from Tron1 to Tron2.

I am certain that it can be done with some of ofnuts' scripts but I could not get what I wanted

Thanks!
I thought I would experiment with this Smile

I noticed vertical lines in the wind behind the cycle. I used rectangle select and scale but only in the horizontal direction.
A solid color background makes animation hard because there is nothing to compare movement to.

I used python-fu-copy-and-shift-layer. To do what you want will just be a 'one shot' animation. So it will not loop. My animation only has 4 layers.

Quote:....120 image frames from Tron1 to Tron2.

You might just have to work around that, one reason is the canvas width 500 pix does not match 120 layers move 4 pix = 480 / 5 pix = 600

It is possible with a bit of user intervention, using the attached plugin scrolling-wrapped-layer.py

Quite a large animation 1.5 MB so a 50 % looks like this:

How did I get there
Open tron2.jpg
Add a black layer under.
Move the tron layer almost off the canvas to the left. Hint: Move tool with shift pressed moves in steps using the keyboard cursor <- key
Apply the plugin with a step value 3 - That gets you 152 layers.
Ctr-X on top layer deletes overlapped frames down to 113 frames.
Duplicate the top (and bottom) frame for padding to get to 120 frames.

A quick animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/7RTSaym.mp4

Attached Files
.zip   scrolling_wrapped_layer.zip (Size: 1.34 KB / Downloads: 84)
For anything like this to work you need a very constant "wake". I would cut a 1px wide vertical slice of the wake and scale it horizontally, cut the bike just before the wake cut and add it in front of the stretched wake. Then you have a very wide layer that you scroll into view (ofn-scroll-layer may help)

In the case of a curvilinear trajectory, how can I animate the bike to follow the curve?

In my attempt, all I managed was to make the motor move along the X axis by dragging the trail behind it.

consegui isto! :-)

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
That is a better attempt than mine Smile   This using arakne-follow-path (somewhat broken with Gimp 2.10.38) and I had to "adjust" the trail to overlap & mask adjacent layers.

(06-09-2024, 08:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That is a better attempt than mine Smile   This using arakne-follow-path (somewhat broken with Gimp 2.10.38) and I had to "adjust" the trail to overlap & mask adjacent layers.

Hello rich2005!

This name arakne seems familiar to me, perhaps having read it in posts on some forum.
But I searched via Help - Plugin-Browser and I didn't find anything with the name arachne in my GIMP.

Yesterday, just before I had to leave, I looked at my GIMP screen again and suddenly a vague idea of how I could animate the bike in a curvy trajectory came to mind. Idea
I didn't know exactly what I was doing but I continued anyway. Finally, I had to manually edit frame by frame to get the gif I posted.

I created the curved trajectory using two TIM plugins. The initial idea was to use either one or the other, but I ended up using both plugins using a mask to get a little of the results from each of them.
The plugins used were: A Double Curve Bende and Stroke Paths With Gradient.

So I created a brush with the image of the motorbike (clipboard image);
I created a path describing the curvilinear trajectory;
I used two Ofnuts plugins:
- Brush strokes on paths and Interleave Layers

With this, the brush (clipbord Image) created copies on the path (trajectory) and these copies were merged with the background of the initial trajectory created with the TIM plugins.

The problem is that the trajectory trail also appeared in front of the bike, so I had to manually remove it frame by frame. 

My goal was to understand how animation could be done with GIMP, I think I had an idea of that at least.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
This was the last version of the follow-path plugin - version 5. It is tedious to use with latest Gimp, when you click in the interface an error message pops up and to change any parameter you have to constantly go back to the plugin UI. Then layers are in a group and probably in reverse order. Requires a bit of user interaction.

https://www.arakne.es/en/gimp-plugin-fol...oordinate/

Edit: The attached is a "consolidated" version of the plugin from somewhere/sometime on Gimpchat (I think) I have disabled the autocrop function so the user now has to crop the sprite, which is on a separate layer, but makes it easier to use. Menu entry is right down bottom of the paths dialogue. -> Tools -> Follow Path

looks like this https://i.imgur.com/ruxGrdb.mp4

Attached Files
.zip   follow-path5.zip (Size: 12.24 KB / Downloads: 83)
To simulate speed I think the result must be something like this :

(06-08-2024, 07:50 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:....120 image frames from Tron1 to Tron2.

You might just have to work around that, one reason is the canvas width 500 pix does not match 120 layers move 4 pix = 480 / 5 pix = 600

(06-08-2024, 07:51 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: For anything like this to work you need a very constant "wake". I would cut a 1px wide vertical slice of the wake and scale it horizontally, cut the bike just before the wake cut and add it in front of the stretched wake. Then you have a very wide layer that you scroll into view (ofn-scroll-layer may help)

Again thank you all for your help!

I should have been more detailed in my original  post. I know that the 2 images are not perfect I just did a quick edit of a Tron Lightcycle to stretch the wake and post them here as an example of what I needed. I will clean them up for the final project.    I am sorry if that made the project more difficult.

I think that I can figure out how to do it with the proper images.

Thanks again!