Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying Emojis in Gimp Textbox using Segoe UI Emoji Font
(04-11-2024, 09:20 AM)Beuzbugz Wrote: Do you have any ideas why Gimp would display the Windows 8 version instead of Windows 10 version?
(Let me remind you that I'm using Windows 10.)

Absolutely no idea.

All I can suggest is this is from my Windows 10 seguiemj.ttf 2.8 MB unzipped. http://u.pc.cd/nbXctalK Download, unzip and do not install in MS fonts put the file in your Gimp 2.10 fonts folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\fonts

With a bit of luck you will have both versions to try. If it does not work, easy to remove the font Not always easy with Windows installed fonts which tend to hang around.
I tried using your file and even duplicated it with a new name to ensure I'm selecting the correct font (and not the default from Windows), but none of this is working.

I think this is definetly not font issue.
It seems like Gimp is overriding the selected font with one of its own when displaying emojis.

FYI, I found configuration files in etc\fonts\conf.d within the Gimp installation folder. There, I attempted to modify 45-generic.conf and 60-generic.conf, which appear to be related to emojis (although I had no idea what I was doing), but unfortunately, I didn't see any results.
Well, I am mostly a linux user and not keen on suggesting anything that might break your Windows system files.

Since my Win10 and Gimp 2.10.36 works I now think the problem is not Gimp more probably your Windows installation. Does your Windows 10 come from an upgrade from Windows 8 ?

Not only MS. Even in linux, the default noto emoji font over-rules segoe emoji

Maybe there is a Windows forum with information on safely removing the old Win 8 segoe font . Then reinstall a new version.
Quote:Does your Windows 10 come from an upgrade from Windows 8 ?

Yes, as far as I remember.

Quote:Since my Win10 and Gimp 2.10.36 works I now think the problem is not Gimp more probably your Windows installation

GIMP is the only program that doesn't display emojis correctly among the many I have tried on my computer (including Notepad++, multiple web browsers, multiple IDEs, and even the search bar in the Spotify client, or any other program where you can input text).
Based on this information, it seems likely that the issue is with GIMP itself, in my opinion.
(04-12-2024, 12:07 PM)Beuzbugz Wrote: GIMP is the only program that doesn't display emojis correctly among the many I have tried on my computer (including Notepad++, multiple web browsers, multiple IDEs, and even the search bar in the Spotify client, or any other program where you can input text).
Based on this information, it seems likely that the issue is with GIMP itself, in my opinion.

Well, we are back to, works for me but not for you. Impasse

I give up, maybe someone else has a solution.

Maybe uninstall the old version, up-to-you, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1270...-10-a.html