Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter to enhance the quality of image
Quote:..Now I have installed python3.9 from source on Ubuntu 22.04 desktop..

You can install python 3.9 for evermore, Gimp uses python 2.7 plus the gimp-python packages which do not work anyway with Ubuntu 22.04

Quote:..Also I ran "flatpak" to install GIMP 2.10.30   Now Python-Fu Filter installed Please advise how to use it.  Thanks

Have you never installed a python plugin before ? They go in your Gimp User Profile plug-ins folder.
For a flatpak that is ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

I will attach a zip with two python plugins. Unzip and put in the above folder.

I think I know why some of your attempts are strange, you must correctly crop before processing. Delete cropped pixels in the crop tool options must be on.

I can demo that for you in a Ubuntu 22.04 VM https://youtu.be/mnl2-uZHt_0  3 minutes duration. 

definitely my last post on this subject.

Attached Files
.zip   for_gegl.zip (Size: 1.38 KB / Downloads: 201)
(05-31-2022, 07:43 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

You can install python 3.9 for evermore, Gimp uses python 2.7 plus the gimp-python packages which do not work anyway with Ubuntu 22.04
Install python 2.7 and GIMP on Ubuntu 20.04

But I can't install gimp-python.  This third-party app hasn't been maintained since 11-2020

Regards
(06-01-2022, 09:24 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 07:43 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

But I can't install gimp-python.  This third-party app hasn't been maintained since 11-2020

Regards

Correct, I told you earlier it was not easy.  From your last post you are using Ubuntu 22.04 and flatpak. Can we concentrate on just one OS and version of Gimp please. 

For Ubuntu 20.04 see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354 

Read the section at the top about using an appimage launcher. Do you think you could manage that, it is not difficult. 

As for installing gimp-python that is covered by the rest of the post...but if you make a mistake, do not come back and complain. That is what I am using at the moment.
(06-01-2022, 10:02 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 09:24 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 07:43 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You can install python 3.9 for evermore, Gimp uses python 2.7 plus the gimp-python packages which do not work anyway with Ubuntu 22.04

Regards

Correct, I told you earlier it was not easy.  From your last post you are using Ubuntu 22.04 and flatpak. Can we concentrate on just one OS and version of Gimp please. 

For Ubuntu 20.04 see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354 

Read the section at the top about using an appimage launcher. Do you think you could manage that, it is not difficult.
In the past, I ran AppImage quite often.  It is very convenient, not necessary to install the application.  Its disadvantage is unable to update/upgrade.

Download gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage to "Downloads folder" of Ubuntu 22.04.

On Terminal
$ cd Downloads/
$ chmod +x gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage
$ ls -al gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage
Code:
-rwxrwx--x 1 satimis satimis 12817600 Jun  1 20:18 gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage

But I can't start it.

Right-click gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage -> Run
No response
Quote:But I can't start it.
No response

Probably not.

Just in case python is missing

Code:
sudo apt install python2

and because Ubuntu 22.04 is a complete pain, you also need

Code:
sudo apt install fuse

..and that should get you going. I can post a video of that but I do not really want to. Remember this is a regular Gimp 2.10.30 and the plugins folder is ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/
(06-01-2022, 02:01 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:But I can't start it.
No response

Probably not.

Just in case python is missing

Code:
sudo apt install python2

and because Ubuntu 22.04 is a complete pain, you also need

Code:
sudo apt install fuse

..and that should get you going. I can post a video of that but I do not really want to. Remember this is a regular Gimp 2.10.30 and the plugins folder is ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

I have subscribed ubuntu.org forum.  

According to their information;
python3 is a core component of the modern Ubuntu's, which means that Ubuntu can't run without it.

In such circumstance I think that it is impossible installing another version of python?

On Terminal run;
$ sudo apt install fuse

Now I can run gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage. 

$ ls -al ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/
Code:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis satimis 4096 Jun  1 12:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 satimis satimis 4096 Jun  1 23:00 .

How to use Python-Fu?

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Just an case anyone comes across this thread. Both python 2 and fuse 2 are deprecated and not included in ubuntu 22.04 / debian ?   So you have to find work-a-rounds for Gimp and appimages, and there are lots of useful appimages (portable linux applications) 

The inevitable question from Stephen Liu.

Quote:..How to use Python-Fu?

Exactly the same as the last time you asked the question.
Download the python plugin of your choice
Put it in the your Gimp User Profile plug-ins folder. Which I told you in the last post will be ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/..and you show is empty, nothing in it.
Make sure the plugin is executable.
Any plugin registers in a menu somewhere. You can find what you installed using Gimp menu Help -> Plugin browser.

In pictures: https://youtu.be/rukU4DAiYnU

I will be honest Stephen, I am too old for this, going round in circles answering the same questions.
Quote:debian ?
Hi Rich, for what is worth, I just took a look on my kids computer (MX Linux 21.1, it's debian based) python 3.9 is installed by default but on the package manager python 2.7,18 is available in the "stable repo" tab( so a sudo apt install python2 will work), and in the "backport" tab fuse2 is there (but they caution you).
Quote:Right-click gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage -> Run

You only need to left click an appimage.

That appimage is made to launch an apt installed Gimp in Ubuntu 22.04.
Thanks for the advice. As with any forum post you need to review posts to get the context of the question and the OP's expertise . About 60 in this instance Wink

It is a Gimp 2.10.30 in Ubuntu 22.04 and a demo from post 58 https://youtu.be/rukU4DAiYnU
One thing that surprised me with Ubuntu 22.04, no straight forward way to make a .desktop file Not shown in the video but I did make one from a copy of the gimp.desktop replacing the Exec=gimp-2.10 with Exec="path to the appimage"

I know the stock ubuntu/gnome DE has plenty of followers but think it is terrible.