Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Font not displayed correctly
Question 
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to find a solution to the following problem:

I want to use the *Al-Aser.ttf font, however, both GIMP and Inkscape do not display the font as intended.

Only Libre Office seems to display this font correctly.

However, in Inkscape, when the font is viewed in the Text and Font window, it displays correctly, although it continues to be written on the page in an undesirable way.

I remember having seen this type of problem before and if I remember correctly, the solution was found at the time. However, I can't remember where this issue was discussed and solved before, much less what the solution was at the time.

Does anyone know how to unravel this situation and guide me on how to make the font type as expected?

**The font is attached as a .zip file

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
.zip   AL-Aser.zip (Size: 28.51 KB / Downloads: 5)
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Even worse In my Gimp, it displays as latin characters Wink

Looking at it in fontforge, those characters are in the "Private" area.

A very quick fix (because I am well overdue to pack in for the night) is a copy/paste into a new blank font. (attached, zipped)  Unfortunately I did not get round to filling all the name fields so it shows as Untitled1 which might do until tomorrow.

Attached Files
.zip   al-aser-mod.zip (Size: 10.78 KB / Downloads: 2)
Hello rich2005!

Now that I have installed your version of this font (al-aser-mod / Untitled1), I am not sure how to use this font.

I am starting to think (assume) that I should have the keyboard working in Arabic, but I am not sure.

I will do some more research and try to understand the situation.

rich2005, thank you very much for the solution you found.

**When packing, it is important to be careful not to forget anything. Have fun!  Cool
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(Today, 12:50 AM)Krikor Wrote: ......I am starting to think (assume) that I should have the keyboard working in Arabic, but I am not sure.
I will do some more research and try to understand the situation.

You are probably correct about the keyboard. I do not know how useful that font will be. Arabic is a phonetic not easy to learn. Right to left except for numbers which are the same position units - tens - hundreds from the right. 1234 is still 1234

Do a search for Windows and Private User Area, it seems there is a Windows tool to make your own and using it is from the character map. This the first I found https://youtu.be/D2XH8osK6Fc bound to be better somewhere.

I worked in the Middle-East for a good number of years, all biz and documents in English so never picked up any Arabic. For translations you have to go:
first translator english to arabic
then
second translator arabic back to english and compare with the original.

best of luck