Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimpchat down
(01-30-2024, 08:58 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Too many connections [1040]

This looks like the error from a ddos attack. I hope it's not.

DDOS on GC? What for? Ransom? There are much bigger fishes in the ocean.

For me, it looks like somehow the forum software is "leaking" connections to its database back end (there is always  a database, web servers are just glorified ways of querying database contents and updating them) and at some point there are none left. Recycling/rebooting fixes this.
(01-30-2024, 08:58 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] Too many connections [1040]

This looks like the error from a ddos attack. I hope it's not.

I don't think, it might be just too many connections open in mysql, by default it's set to 100, I don't know their mysql config, though

It might be also linked to very recently Wallace's action as he did pass the number of post per page to 20 (it was 10 before) as well as the front page.

The lack of disk space could also throw this error, as it could make mysql to wait before a query can finish, thus the number of pending user connections will increase until it reaches the limit

Bots, freaking badly made bots with hundreds connections at a time can do that also (not an attack, but some bad SEO bots/whatnot which never read the robots.txt) and because of the new "20 posts per page" they did "discovered" new posts, thus they all woke up and re-scan/fetch the website

A surge in popularity is also to consider Big Grin
Patrice
Quote:web servers are just glorified ways of querying database contents
The heart of a web site you could say Smile  It must be a big db after all this time? The database is supposed to grow with the popularity of the site. I noticed with GC if 2 people comment at the same time only one comment is published. I don't know if this is a feature or just a weakness Smile

Quote:A surge in popularity is also to consider [Image: biggrin.png]

A victim of it's success. I pointed out that deep dream images look like Hollywood movies. Maybe I should have kept that to myself. PixLab you even told people where you live, I thought with a name like 'Tas_Mania i would keep them guessing Smile
I remember a few years ago when it just ran out of space and the owner had to bump that up. There are some GC contributors that do post multiple large images. maybe just a space issue again.
Fixed again Wink
(01-30-2024, 10:19 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:web servers are just glorified ways of querying database contents
The heart of a web site you could say Smile  It must be a big db after all this time? The database is supposed to grow with the popularity of the site. I noticed with GC if 2 people comment at the same time only one comment is published. I don't know if this is a feature or just a weakness Smile

Quote:A surge in popularity is also to consider [Image: biggrin.png]

A victim of it's success. I pointed out that deep dream images look like Hollywood movies. Maybe I should have kept that to myself. PixLab you even told people where you live, I thought with a name like 'Tas_Mania i would keep them guessing Smile

For comparison, total DB on GF.n is... 375M (about 110MB of real forum data, the backup is 20MB), and there are about 2GB of attachments, so, peanuts on modern machines (the smallest server you can get has a 40GB disk these days).
I hope GC stays up now. I'm a believer in stopping the DB and putting the site into maintenance mode if any db work needs to be done. I've had no experience with large dbs so things may have changed.

Apparently facebook uses a distributed database system.
(01-30-2024, 10:59 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I remember a few years ago when it just ran out of space and the owner had to bump that up. There are some GC contributors that do post multiple large images. maybe just a space issue again.

multiple large images... it's an euphemism Big Grin

Before I got Starlink, my internet connection was limited in GB per month and speed, I cannot count how many times I gave up on a page on GC, or go to make a coffee while loading, thus there were many topic I skipt because of the number of huge images inside Confused

I don't understand why the forum(a script will do) do not auto resize the big images or made a thumbnail (even a big one) to show in post instead of loading those giganormous images directly into post
Patrice
(02-02-2024, 02:57 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 10:59 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I remember a few years ago when it just ran out of space and the owner had to bump that up. There are some GC contributors that do post multiple large images. maybe just a space issue again.

multiple large images... it's an euphemism  Big Grin

Before I got Starlink, my internet connection was limited in GB per month and speed, I cannot count how many times I gave up on a page on GC, or go to make a coffee while loading, thus there were many topic I skipt because of the number of huge images inside  Confused

I don't understand why the forum(a script will do) do not auto resize the big images or made a thumbnail (even a big one) to show in post instead of loading those giganormous images directly into post

But in the past there was the option to create thumbnails.
Maybe there still are, they just aren't using this tool.

Here Wallace explains: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14541  -  How-To: Uploaded Images As Thumbnails
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(02-02-2024, 03:20 PM)Krikor Wrote: But in the past there was the option to create thumbnails.
Maybe there still are, they just aren't using this tool.

Here Wallace explains: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14541  -  How-To: Uploaded Images As Thumbnails

It's just a "tag" method for a constrained view size option, it is not creating a thumbnail > you are still downloading the full size of the original image Wink
Patrice