Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good are you at guessing colors?
(04-26-2024, 09:41 AM)Krikor Wrote: But yesterday the answer came so easily that I wondered how I hadn't figured it out sooner.
It's always like this, once we know the answer everything is easy.

OKey.... and the the answers is... ?
I mean, how did you cheat?
Patrice
(04-26-2024, 06:45 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 09:41 AM)Krikor Wrote: But yesterday the answer came so easily that I wondered how I hadn't figured it out sooner.
It's always like this, once we know the answer everything is easy.

OKey.... and the the answers is... ?
I mean, how did you cheat?

Hi PixLabSmile

If I told you:
"Plenty of apps to show the RGB value of any pixel on your screen, directly or indirectly. With Gimp only: File > Create > Screen shot plus pointer dialog, on Linux you probably have xmag already installed."

Would that be enough of an answer for you?   Wink
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(04-26-2024, 10:24 PM)Krikor Wrote: Hi PixLabSmile

If I told you:
"Plenty of apps to show the RGB value of any pixel on your screen, directly or indirectly. With Gimp only: File > Create > Screen shot plus pointer dialog, on Linux you probably have xmag already installed."

yes, I have Gpick and MATE color picker, but they give hexa, RGB and HSL, but not the "Hexadecimal" as #123, but #123456...
How do you transform #123456 to ➤ #123?
if simple color could work, like #ff00ff ➤ #f0f, how do you do #2a64c2 to #123? Do you do (2+a)/2, then (6+4)/2 and (c+2)/2 ?
Patrice
(04-27-2024, 02:40 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 10:24 PM)Krikor Wrote: Hi PixLabSmile

If I told you:

yes, I have Gpick and MATE color picker, but they give hexa, RGB and HSL, but not the "Hexadecimal" as #123, but #123456...
How do you transform #123456 to ➤ #123?
if simple color could work, like #ff00ff ➤ #f0f, how do you do #2a64c2 to #123? Do you do (2+a)/2, then (6+4)/2 and (c+2)/2 ?You raised a great question.

As I wrote before, I found the solution by chance, just by paying attention to a small detail and Eureka!

But I only did this once, which was in the example I posted, and I didn't realize that there could be other cases like the one you mentioned (#2a64c2).

So I tried to figure out how to do the conversion for the case of repeated pair codes (aabbcc, 112233, etc).

I wasn't able to.

But, my failure was that I tried to find a color # on the Guess My RGB website that was not a repeating pair and see what code would be generated.
With this I would try to understand how the conversion was done, trying to achieve the same result.

What happened is that I tried on almost 20 new colors and they were all in the form of repeating pairs.

Therefore, I believe that there will not be colors like #2a64c2 among the colors generated on the website, but always colors in pairs.
I do not really get that site Wink Also I do not quite understand the confusion. In hex it is RRGGBBAA the extra that does not show in Gimp color picker is the Alpha channel.  You get a better display in Inkscape. This made in Gimp with 50 transparency. 80 hex = 128 halfway between 0 and 255 ie 50 % 

so you want #123456 -> #123 , that does not make sense If you want 3 numbers, it is decimal 191, 245, 139
(04-27-2024, 08:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I do not really get that site Wink Also I do not quite understand the confusion. In hex it is RRGGBBAA the extra that does not show in Gimp color picker is the Alpha channel.  You get a better display in Inkscape. This made in Gimp with 50 transparency. 80 hex = 128 halfway between 0 and 255 ie 50 % 

so you want #123456 -> #123 , that does not make sense If you want 3 numbers, it is decimal 191, 245, 139

rich2005,

The situation raised here is that on the "Guess My RGB" website there is a background color that must be identified.
To do this, you need to slide the slides until we find a color similar to the background color.
What happens is that the solution given on this site is in the format #a2e (3 numbers) obtained from the color #aa22ee.

In other words, for each RGB color there are always pairs for each color: (# aa 22 ee), (# ff 00 bb) and so on.
Resulting in answers with 3 numbers like: (#a23), (#f0b), etc.

The question was what the answer would be if a background color was of the type #b58f38 (without repetition), which was presented in the format of 3 numbers.  Huh

I haven't figured out that answer.

But I found that all the colors that appeared as a background color on this site; in a sample of 20 attempts, they were in the format #aabbcc (repeated pairs).

Knowing this, it is easy to find the value of the background color "with help" (cheating).