Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panel always on top or hotkey to show all panels
I used 2.6 before and after switched to 2.10 I noticed that all floating panels are hidden when I edit something or just wait few seconds. Is there a hotkey to show them or is there an option to make them stay on top like in 2.6?
(Yesterday, 01:06 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: I used 2.6 before and after switched to 2.10 I noticed that all floating panels are hidden when I edit something or just wait few seconds. Is there a hotkey to show them or is there an option to make them stay on top like in 2.6?

That is a big jump from Gimp 2.6 to Gimp 2.10. We have all done it, but over a number of years... via Gimp 2.8

Are you still using the multi-panel setting for Gimp - Tools panel - Main (images) - Brushes...etc panel If so it is worth getting used to the Single Window. That is menu Windows -> Single Window Mode toggle.

There is also a possibility that when you installed Gimp 2.10 it tried to migrate previous Gimp 2.6 settings. If you still have a C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.6 directory then disable that by renaming. Disable your Gimp 2.10 user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 by renaming. Start Gimp 2.10, it makes a new default user profile and see if that is an improvement.

The usual hot keys for Gimp 2.10 are the Tab key for show / hide docks and F11 function key for full screen without window decoration.
Photo 
(Yesterday, 03:18 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Are you still using the multi-panel setting for Gimp - Tools panel - Main (images) - Brushes...etc panel If so it is worth getting used to the Single Window. That is menu Windows -> Single Window Mode toggle.

It was toggled on, but after toggle it off and on again, all panels gone right, in the ugly low-effective full-screen heighted panel.
Is it possible to separete this panel in half (horisontally) and put one panel in the upper half and other in the second?

If not, can I just return old panels behaviour – to be on top just like it is in 2.6? I can't understand why this behavior was removed in the first place.

Quote:rich2005

That is a big jump from Gimp 2.6 to Gimp 2.10. We have all done it, but over a number of years... via Gimp 2.8

I actually tried to move to newer versions several times, including 2.8, but every time faced some awkward changes (like splitting saving on export and save – why?) and moved back to 2.6.12 I used to.

Post Scriptum. If you can do anything about forum interface, please, don't remove all wrotten text if copypasted from clipboard image file is too large. I has to rewrite all text becouse of this (and becouse I forgot to install Formalizr after browser reinstall)
(Yesterday, 07:38 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: It was toggled on, but after toggle it off and on again, all panels gone right, in the ugly low-effective full-screen heighted panel.
Is it possible to separete this panel in half (horisontally) and put one panel in the upper half and other in the second?

See this

(Yesterday, 07:38 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: If not, can I just return old panels behaviour – to be on top just like it is in 2.6? I can't understand why this behavior was removed in the first place.

See in Edit > Preferences > Windows management > Window manager hints > Hints for docks and toolbox

(Yesterday, 07:38 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: I actually tried to move to newer versions several times, including 2.8, but every time faced some awkward changes (like splitting saving on export and save – why?) and moved back to 2.6.12 I used to.

Just making the jump worse...

(Yesterday, 07:38 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: Post Scriptum. If you can do anything about forum interface, please, don't remove all wrotten text if copypasted from clipboard image file is too large. I has to rewrite all text becouse of this (and becouse I forgot to install Formalizr after browser reinstall)

Forum software is not ours, but AFAIK from several thousands posts here, content of input fields is quite resilient to mishaps if you use the "back" function of your browser.
(Yesterday, 07:38 PM)T-TaaN Wrote: .....snip.....
Is it possible to separate this panel in half (horizontally) and put one panel in the upper half and other in the second?

Not as you indicated in your screenshot. You can have a single stack instead of the two right side panels but not possible to have a gap between without going into floating windows that are pinned in place. Not difficult in linux, not so easy with Windows OS.

You probably already know all this, closing / opening / adding docks

a 2.5 minute video https://filedn.com/lkb9dw6mEfXSsOu9uKLaM14/1.mp4 (not going to use YT, totally sick of their advertisements )

I recall from previous posts that clicking and dragging tabs on a 4k display might be a problem. Maybe easier with Gimp temporarily using the system theme.