Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some old pixel art done in GIMP(2019-2020)
Hi all, at the risk of being a doofus, i wanted to share some work i did a few years back(I think it is better quality than what i have shared before). I want to post it somewhere, instead of letting it rot on my hard drive. It is pixel art from a collab that never got published.

Here is the collab: https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=31210.0

I'm not a very experienced pixel artist, so participating in this collab was a good learning experience for me, and taught me a lot about GIMP and graphic art in general. Sadly, i haven't been doing as much graphic art lately, though I do occasionally still find the opportunity to open GIMP for one reason or another, and very much appreciate that this software exists. Anyway let me post images:

T2 Mirage:

T7 RNA Stream:

T31 Dr. Devil(MD):

T40 Hoax Man:

...well, I'm not sure how to upscale the attachments in the post, and i kind of prefer to submit in the original size. Maybe there is a way to magnify in the BB prefs? IDK, if people respond with interest, I can provide some progress shots and reference stuff illustrating the process i used.

Take Care!
No biters then? Oh well, I understand; the more i look at them, the more i find little nitpicks. Two are actually still WIP. Actually, i posted an old version of Mirage(i'm just not happy with the way it started looking).

here is the last version:

I'm just not happy with how the caravan ended up looking; i think i maybe got the perspective wrong. There were though some other changes too, that I think were positive.

If anyone is genuinely interested in my process, i do have some screenshots and intermediate exports i could share, though it's mostly pretty simple stuff: layers, paths, channels, color-select, fill selection with color, merge layers. ...path-to-selection, etc.

I'm happy to leave it at that then.
Why gif and not WebP?
Your intention was to have few colors?

gif ➤ https://ibb.co/0ZPdSb2
animated webp ➤ https://ibb.co/S7X4nJG
Patrice
Right, i understand webp is actually a superior format, though the main goal of the pixel collab i was drawing for was more aligned with the mindset of pixelart as artform preservation(ie retro-style pixelart).

On that note, it turns out GIMP is actually a great program for making old style pixel art.

Also, about WebP, I think it's cool, though it's not really supported all that much - at least plenty of platforms don't support it(like my old mac). It would be smart if gimp.org published a WebP viewer applet. Otherwise i can't view them on my desktop. Sad
All browsers after 2020 support it.
It's not GIMP who should provide a viewer but Google, (WebP is from Google)
XnViewMP (free for personal use)  or digikam does see WebP as many other free viewer
Anyway I'm on Linux, I have no problem to see webp with Caja (file browser)
Patrice
(05-16-2024, 03:40 PM)TumbleRocks Wrote: Right, i understand webp is actually a superior format, though the main goal of the pixel collab i was drawing for was more aligned with the mindset of pixelart as artform preservation(ie retro-style pixelart).

On that note, it turns out GIMP is actually a great program for making old style pixel art.

Also, about WebP, I think it's cool, though it's not really supported all that much - at least plenty of platforms don't support it(like my old mac). It would be smart if gimp.org published a WebP viewer applet. Otherwise i can't view them on my desktop. Sad

You can always open them with your internet browser.
xnview requires minimum macos 10.13 and digikam 10.15 - i guess i just need to buy a new mac.

Firefox-esr did open the file, though i had to override "recommended apps" to get it to open.

What distro of linux are you using Pixlab?
(05-18-2024, 02:31 PM)TumbleRocks Wrote: What distro of linux are you using Pixlab?

Ubuntu-MATE and MX Linux
Patrice
Cool, I have been using MX on the side for awhile now, since i felt like Ubuntu's UX became degraded on some of my old machines. Sadly now I've started having a funny problem on the latest version of MX where windows overrun the bottom of the screen. I'm able to work around it by by switching the window to full screen mode, though it's sort of a troubling development. I've never worked on operating systems before, so i don't expect to fix the problem, and the whole reason I started using MX was because it had the best UX and was easy to install. I'm not looking forward to struggling with BSD again(or Debian).