Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imported template size problems
Hi,
I've imported PDF templates from (now a selection) of websites then used them to create artwork for a CD booklet, disc and tray card.
The process involves creating the image within the border lines on the template, then flattening the image without the template.
The problem I'm having is that when the artwork is submitted and placed over the same template at the printers end the artwork is now way too small.
In GIMP I have measured the templates against the ruler bars and all is correct. 
Can GIMP be reducing the templates? And if so how come the ruler measurements look ok?
Frustratingly, the tray card template hasn't presented any problems it's just the booklet and disc templates.
Are you really using Gimp 2.8 ?  Nothing wrong with it and when it comes to opening a PDF, no difference with Gimp 2.10

Gimp works in pixels and you (probably) are working in inches (or millimetres)

When you open a PDF in Gimp the default conversion from inches to pixels is 100. Look at the image in Gimp, use rulers with inches and all is ok. Except it is too small. Looks like this:

You should ask your printer, but they probably need 300 pixels per inch (ppi) which is a default for quality printing documents. Change the ppi in the PDF import to 300. Rulers still show the correct size in inches but the image in pixels is now larger. Looks like this.

It does mean you will have to start again, scaling up x3 is no good, it will be blurred due to interpolation. Also when you come back to look at your exported PDF after a couple of days, remember to set that 300 ppi.
Thanks Rich, looks like not importing at 300 ppi was the issue.
Will have to start again but better than being stuck going nowhere!