Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a way to make a "multi-layer brush" or something like that?
For example, I have a brush that is a clipart of a tree. I'll paint it many times over on an image.

But each time I paint it, I'll also need to later separate the trunk, leaves and shadow each into a different layer.

Is there anyway to make a brush that automatically paint into three different layers, a different part of the brush into each of these layers?
(04-16-2024, 07:45 AM)Ellye Wrote: For example, I have a brush that is a clipart of a tree. I'll paint it many times over on an image.

But each time I paint it, I'll also need to later separate the trunk, leaves and shadow each into a different layer.

Is there anyway to make a brush that automatically paint into three different layers, a different part of the brush into each of these layers?

What I can imagine is an approximation if the clipart is simple, with flat colors and/or with the parts separated from each other.

In this case, it is possible to separate both the colors and the component parts of the image that have an alpha channel.

For more complex clipart, perhaps some other approach is possible.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
A technique to try is to make three brushes (all with the same rectangle size), one with the trunk, one with the leaves, and one with the shadow.

You then create a path(*), and you stroke the path with each brush on three different layers.

(*) the path doesn't need to be a single line. It can well be a set of very short strokes as long as these are shorted than the brush spacing. They can even be single point strokes (but this requires on of my scripts to render it).
(04-16-2024, 07:45 AM)Ellye Wrote: Is there anyway to make a brush that automatically paint into three different layers, a different part of the brush into each of these layers?

NO! not even Photoshop, a brush is not telepathic to know which part you want to paint on this or that layer, a brush paint on 1 layer and one layer only, a brush does not have setting to paint, let say the upper part on one layer and the bottom part on another layer...
Make different parts of your brush e.g. ➤ the leaves on one brush, then the trunk and branches on another brush
Patrice
(04-16-2024, 01:51 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 07:45 AM)Ellye Wrote: Is there anyway to make a brush that automatically paint into three different layers, a different part of the brush into each of these layers?

NO! not even Photoshop, a brush is not telepathic to know which part you want to paint on this or that layer, a brush paint on 1 layer and one layer only,
Of course I didn't expect the brush to magically know what to draw where, just looking if it would be possible to cut up the brush into multiple layers. It doesn't sound like such a far-fetched idea: maybe if the brush format could save multiple layers (like .xcf format or .psd format does), it could also paint in multiple layers.

Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Ofnuts! The idea of using a Path will probably work for what I need, I will check your plugins too for single strokes paths.
(04-16-2024, 11:18 PM)Ellye Wrote:

NO! not even Photoshop, a brush is not telepathic to know which part you want to paint on this or that layer, a brush paint on 1 layer and one layer only,
Of course I didn't expect the brush to magically know what to draw where, just looking if it would be possible to cut up the brush into multiple layers. It doesn't sound like such a far-fetched idea: maybe if the brush format could save multiple layers (like .xcf format or .psd format does), it could also paint in multiple layers.

Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Ofnuts! The idea of using a Path will probably work for what I need, I will check your plugins too for single strokes paths.

The one you want is ofn-brush-stokes-on-path.
(04-16-2024, 11:18 PM)Ellye Wrote:

Woww, re-reading my post I sound rude, sorry about that, bad yoke   Confused
Patrice