Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help creating a texture.
Hey all,

I'm trying to create a material and one of the textures I need to make is far outside my skill in using gimp. The texture is for a D6 die, I'm trying to switch out the dots with numbers.

This is what I'm starting out with. What steps do I need to take to make the effect? I've already isolated the number. I just put this here for you all's benefit..
[Image: rVJUESm.png]
This is the overall effect I'm trying to apply to each number, those edges with changing color gradient.
[Image: js4YXbm.png]
Also want to paint this texture inside each number.
[Image: SFgXGkj.png]

Thanks in advance for the help!
Filters > Light and shadow > Lighting effects. Start with a uniform layer, use your number as a bump map and use at least to light directional light source of different colors, with Glowing pushed high in the Material tab.

(07-17-2024, 12:31 PM)GamingBotanist Wrote: I'm trying to create a material and one of the textures I need to make is far outside my skill in using gimp. The texture is for a D6 die, I'm trying to switch out the dots with numbers.

This is what I'm starting out with. What steps do I need to take to make the effect? I've already isolated the number. I just put this here for you all's benefit..

Guessing this is for some sort of 3D render (for a game ?)

I do recognise it as a Normal Map, and there are/were a couple of plugins around. InsaneBump was one (old & no longer works ?) but you can try the attached Windows version of MLBevelreflect. Unzip, put MLBevelReflect.exe in your plugins folder. It registers in Filters -> Map  It is 32 bit but does work with your 64 bit GIMP.

A bit of work required on your part. Colors -> Invert shows up all the artifacts, and you will have to add any embelishments.

In Win10 / Gimp 2.10.38 it looks like this, note the settings.

Attached Files
.zip   MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit.zip (Size: 31.74 KB / Downloads: 58)
Also I would suggest once you have your texture, if you want to paint with it after, turn the texture (picture) into a brush.   Edit (top menu) then in the drop down menu; copy, paste as a new brush and give your brush a name in the dialog that comes up - refresh your brushes dialog and you will see it there.
If you have GMICqt you can render patterns and then bump them as ofnuts and rich showed.
Category in GMIC is Patterns. Look at the different ones there and see what you like.

Smile
Ahh, it is there in Gimp 2.10  in Filters -> Generic.   A GEGL Normal Map filter.

Earlier remarks about cleaning up the image still apply You might want to change back to Black on White.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-17-2024, 02:13 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 12:31 PM)GamingBotanist Wrote: I'm trying to create a material and one of the textures I need to make is far outside my skill in using gimp. The texture is for a D6 die, I'm trying to switch out the dots with numbers.

Guessing this is for some sort of 3D render (for a game ?)

I do recognise it as a Normal Map, and there are/were a couple of plugins around. InsaneBump was one (old & no longer works ?) but you can try the attached Windows version of MLBevelreflect. Unzip, put MLBevelReflect.exe in your plugins folder. It registers in Filters -> Map  It is 32 bit but does work with your 64 bit GIMP.

A bit of work required on your part. Colors -> Invert shows up all the artifacts, and you will have to add any embelishments.

In Win10 / Gimp 2.10.38 it looks like this, note the settings.

This is all really helpful! 

I added the unzipped folder to my directory C:\Users\greg2\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit

Dumb question, where do I find the plugin in my UI?
(07-17-2024, 08:10 PM)GamingBotanist Wrote: I added the unzipped folder to my directory C:\Users\greg2\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit

Ahh...you have gone wrong.
Unzip MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit.zip It contains the single file MLBevelReflect.exe

That is the file you put in the plugins folder, C:\Users\greg2\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

The plugin shows in Filters -> Map -> ML BevelReflect 2.0
(07-17-2024, 08:46 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 08:10 PM)GamingBotanist Wrote: I added the unzipped folder to my directory C:\Users\greg2\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit

Ahh...you have gone wrong.
Unzip MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit.zip It contains the single file MLBevelReflect.exe

That is the file you put in the plugins folder, C:\Users\greg2\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

The plugin shows in Filters -> Map -> ML BevelReflect 2.0

Ah I see. I'm so used to Mods and just dropping the whole folder in haha.

From the preview it seems I have the wrong selection.

[Image: S5nf7Vh.png]

Think I nearly have it.
Using your picture to start with 
1. I color to alpha it to get rid of the white background.
2. Right click on alpha to selection. So only the number was treated.
3. Opened up GMIC and used 'Hair Locks'. Found under Rendering.
4. Then used ML Bevel reflect - in the dialog that opens. Put smoothing 1, Round 2 Depth 20
    Normal Map.
5. Unfortunately this will color the whole layer so if you don't want the background colored - select outer  area with the fuzzy select tool - and cut, then export

Smile
(07-17-2024, 09:49 PM)GamingBotanist Wrote: From the preview it seems I have the wrong selection.  

I do not really know what you require, I am not really into games graphics, I sometimes dabble in 3D

I see from your screenshot that you have a  transparent background. If you want to retain that, use the alpha lock (top of the layers dock) in place of the selection. 
Then as with everything the result depends on what goes in. It is a bit like a bump map where White is up, Black is down and greys will round the result.

So I did give this a little blur before MLBevel

...and not much difference to Filters -> Generic -> Normal Map