Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Artist's Toolbox
Many times I've encountered derogatory comments about using digital tools in the creation of illustration. My assurance is that I was painting, drawing and selling the art in 1964, and I didn't start using computer tools (they weren't available) until 1994. There's 30 years proving I could draw and paint without computer aids.

Should artists make their own brushes, grind berries to make their own paint rather than use any store-bought accessories - and what about canvas and paper? 
I embraced the technical age, and never looked back. (went all digital in the mid-90s)

No craftsman normally only uses one tool. If a carpenter could only have a saw, he would be pretty stymied in making a living.

I use Gimp + other tools, including 3D programs to do my work, whether it's for commissions or for my own pastime. 
I often sit and doodle with pencil and pad, so I can still use the basics.

A few examples...

The Library at the Augusta National course (home of the Master's Golf Tournament)
I built all the parts as 3d images, allowing me to rotate, reposition adjust angles, etc. before actually creating a line-style drawing to avoid the hard look of computer art. (illustration for a publication in Georgia, and it was picked up and published - by permission - in a golf magazine in England) This avoided a nightmare olf doing everything from scratch if there were errors or of a client wanted a change - (always happening)

There are times when the 3D look is the way to go for the project....

... and when 3D is the product... (table-top figurines, trophies, etc.)

[Image: 15871545_10154849867538431_4425975227108...e=5B12DEC4]
Not sure why no-one has replied to this thread, I find the topic very astute..!!

For me, digital art really is the way to go, since I have basically no visual artistic skills beyond stick figures, whatsoever.

A year ago or so, I re-discovered my long-asleep love of photography, digital of course, after having decades ago been fully committed to film photography.

Truth be told, photography is about as close as I come to visual content creation.  With a camera in my hands, and a subject to photograph, I can apply some imagination and come up with very lovely photos, straight-out-of-camera and post-processed both.

Put a pencil or pen in my hand however, and I'm completely lost--no imagination at all....empty void.

Then again, digital drawing programs add an element of creativity which present the potential for non-artists like me to begin to acquire or discover skills which otherwise might never have come into being. 

All of which is to say, digital imaging and digital content creation are where it's at....whomever asserts that digital imaging and digital content creation are somehow not legitimately creative, needs to learn to tie their own shoelaces.

Just sayin'  ....
Best Regards,
Chaplain Mark

-------------
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.
Great points, OP!

I think all types of art are valid. Art is for expression and innovation! Digital art embraces both of those ideas. Smile

It can simply be used for different things, as well! Different strokes for different folks, as they say. Smile