Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gimp is a superb option for image editing...
But I have one question..

Where's the shape tool?

Is there some kind of a legal limitation for this to exist?

I mean, I would go to the left bar and I want to select a tool to use..

I might want to make a 5 pointed star for example, of any size, very quick and easy..

Or a circle, or a square, or triangle..

Am I just being stupid here? Crazy? Or why can't I find it?

BTW no I'm not such a big fan of having to do these sorts of things using a select tool, either.

I think there ought to be a line tool, also..

I mean SURE, I CAN hold the alt-key down, but to an average user, it sure is difficult to find.

Maybe it would be appropriate to include it in the same category as shapes?

A line is a shape.

Attached Files
.xcf   ShapeToolMissing.xcf (Size: 8.81 KB / Downloads: 28)
No shape tool ➤ OK... something to go with

To do do straight line, make a dab with a brush tool or the pen tool or any drawing too ➤ then hold the Shift key on your keyboard, than go on the other side of the canvas and make another dab, you got a straight line

To make a star, I use the Symmetry painting tool, it's not showing up by default, thus go to Windows > Dockable Dialog > Symmetry painting, select Mandala number of point 5 (or whatever up to 100), Same as above make one dab, then hold the Shift key and dab down to the "opposite" side on the other point.

Result:
(If you're on a transparent layer, then Alpha to selection, then  Select > Remove holes, fill with bucket fill if needed)

a circle:

use the Ellipse tool the go to Edit > Stroke selection

Same for squares and rectangle

Last but not least there is that Gfig things, in Filters > Render > Gfig... which is not really user friendly (I mean no real control on the size), but it makes shapes, many kind of shapes, more about it ➤ here is the official documentation ➤ https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-gfig.html

Patrice
(06-18-2024, 11:34 AM)SiriusA Wrote: But I have one question..

Where's the shape tool?

The built in shape tool is called gfig see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-gfig.html
**but** it is a very old tool, goes back 20 something years and can be a bit flakey. Find it in Filters -> Render -> Gfig

Otherwise, there are plugins to make shapes, usually via a path.  I will attach one for you to play with arakne-path-shape-creator.  Unzip and put all the files in your plugins folder. Linux users make the python file(s) executable.

Use a selection to constrain the size of the shape (although that can be adjusted from the plugin) Looks like this.

Attached Files
.zip   arakne-path-shape-creator6e.zip (Size: 21.95 KB / Downloads: 18)
Okay.

While I DO appreciate these answers, all of that looks complicated as ****.

Of course I KNOW that there are ways of making shapes in GIMP (duh-huh).

This is a bit more of a feature request.

What I MEANT, was..

Why is there not a tool for these specific things?

Is it due to a LEGAL issue?

I think it PROBABLY can't be due to a lack of programming knowledge issue.

I know I can do all of THOSE things but it's very COMPLICATED!

Point and click..

If that was one of my software patents I would just license it out to the GIMP team.

That would save a lot of time and hassle.

If that's one of mine, consider this to be the license.
Quote:Why is there not a tool for these specific things?

Because up to now, nobody made it.
It's as simple as that.
The GIMP devs welcome new contributors who can code such tool.
You might want to go very simple on this..

Like, consider vectors..

ABC and so on..

If you want to make a five pointed star, you might want to consider it like this..

AzByCzDwEv..

To make the algorithm as simple as possible.

I right now programmed a bug. But I think you know the idea!

AzByCwDvEu...

GO NUTS, PROGRAMMING TEAM!
Keep replying like that will not get you any help, might get you banned.  There are no developers here.

Make a feature request to: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Quote:...I might want to make a 5 pointed star for example, of any size, very quick and easy..

If you want a simple graphics editor, there are plenty around.
Then "any size, very quick" Ofnuts has a plugin that makes a shape from a defining path, but like everything in life you need to know how to use it.

(06-18-2024, 02:17 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Keep replying like that will not get you any help, might get you banned.  There are no developers here.

Make a feature request to: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Quote:...I might want to make a 5 pointed star for example, of any size, very quick and easy..

If you want a simple graphics editor, there are plenty around.
Then "any size, very quick" Ofnuts has a plugin that makes a shape from a defining path, but like everything in life you need to know how to use it.

Looks a bit simpler if you show it like this:

What the OP thinks While I DO appreciate these answers, all of that looks complicated

Everything too complicated Wink Maybe what the OP requires are shape making tools as in Inkscape. I seem to think the devs are going to implement vector layers, perhaps as a gfig replacement, but still in the distant future.
A shapes tool might happen as there's a Google Summer Of Code project that, in theory, is working on this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/11190