Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Newbie - Removing Checkered Background
I'm trying to remove the checkered background and replace it with a white background.  I looked at several vids on youtube but none really explained it.  It's probably easy but I'm opening this up for the first time.  Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-16-2024, 11:35 PM)Connolly Music Creations Wrote: I'm trying to remove the checkered background and replace it with a white background.  I looked at several vids on youtube but none really explained it.  It's probably easy but I'm opening this up for the first time.  Thanks

For such a tiny image like this, detail won't really matter, thus I'll duplicate the image,
on the new layer, I'll do a vertical curve by going to Colors > Curves..., this will remove the grays by making them white

Then put that top layer in HSV Value

Patrice
I see the file you posted is a .png file. If you load it to gimp (as new picture) and the background is tranparent then you see a checkerboard in the background. Al you have to do is make a new (white) layer and put this layer below the Bolt.png picture.

Appreciate the responses.  I'll look into these.  

The other issue is that I'm trying to fit the lighting bolt into a 98 x 98 pixel space for a youtube channel, but the 98 x 98 space is a circle so both ends of the bolt are getting slightly chopped.  The original is 720 x 686 and I tried scaling that to 50% but it was still too big.  So to get that 720 original into a 98 space, how would I resize that?  Both are attached to see the chop.

Not seeing the original for some reason.  Here it is as a comparison.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

(07-17-2024, 05:13 PM)Connolly Music Creations Wrote: The other issue is that I'm trying to fit the lighting bolt into a 98 x 98 pixel space for a youtube channel, but the 98 x 98 space is a circle so both ends of the bolt are getting slightly chopped.  The original is 720 x 686 and I tried scaling that to 50% but it was still too big.  So to get that 720 original into a 98 space, how would I resize that?  Both are attached to see the chop.

A bit of free time before I settle down to a game of computer-scrabble Wink

First the background removal (fake transparency) The other methods are fine but the bolt is all straight lines. Easy enough to trace with a path then path to selection, invert and cut. The drop shadow has bits of checker showing through. Using the old-fashioned method. Duplicate the bolt and colour the bottom layer. Move the bottom layer to give the shadow. (1)

This then has to fit in a circle. Add center line guides and use the elliptical select tool to determine the required size. That 720x686 canvas should be 840 x 840 (2) . Use Image -> Canvas Size (3)

All that is fine from the image supplied, but the final requirement is a 98 x 98 icon  Much-much too small for a decent scale-down from 840x840.

The obvious is a conversion in Inkscape to a vector (svg) image. This ends up quite large, 1.2 MB because of the gradient colours.

However I can import the svg into GIMP sized for 98x98 pix and that is attached. Delete the bottom layer and export as a png.

.xcf   bolt-98x98.xcf (Size: 10.97 KB / Downloads: 25)

Nothing difficult but plenty to learn for a new Gimp user.  Hope it helps.
Thanks for the details.  How much time would that take for a skilled user?  Is that in the 10 min range or more like 30 to an hour?
Ahh beat the computer at scrabble (just) Wink

Yeah, it is a ten minute job, although knowing the required workflow might cut a minute or two off. Going in and out of Inkscape is a pain. It is the 98x98 pix requirement to blame. Not having to remove the fake (checker) transparency would speed it up a bit.

Edit: OK, final job for the day. If I grit my teeth at having to scale down so much, I can get a workflow of 2 minutes.

This the video https://filedn.com/lkb9dw6mEfXSsOu9uKLaM...t-demo.mp4

Someone probably come up with other ways.
Thank you for the vid.  Plenty to chew on when undertaking something entirely new.  Small steps.  Thank you again.