Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a watermark and "Brightness-Contrast" menu appearing uninvited and will NOT go
Dear Fellow GIMP User,

I am using GIMP 2.10

I have been using GIMP to add watermarks (via layers) to the photographs in our Local History Collection before I upload them to our Library Catalogue and other online sites. I have had no problems before now. But today a ghost has gotten in my computer.

I open my photo, add my watermark and unbidden a menu window called "Brightness-Contrast" pops-up and I don't want to adjust brightness, I didn't press it it. I press 'Cancel' and the menu window comes back. I press "OK" and the menu window comes back. I hit the "X" in the top right hand of the menu window and the menu window keeps coming back. 

I have troubleshooted by closing the program and re-opening, but the same occurs. I have also shut down the whole computer and restarted. Yet the problem still keeps happening.

I have attached a screenshot. 

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance,

Rosemary Ritorto
Local History Coordinator
Town of Victoria Park Library Service

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's because you click on the canvas and also because the Brightness-Contrast is a part of your toolbox and is selected ➤ Just hit another tool in the Toolbox like the move tool ➤ Move and this won't bother you anymore.
Patrice
Just to add to PixLabs post, It looks like you have used the TAB key to hide the docks, TAB again to unhide (or the alternative is in the Windows menu -> Hide Docks toggle.

That gets you (hopefully) the Tools and Tool Options, You can see the active function Brightness - Contrast is a GEGL function. Switch to a neutral tool, the measure tool is the safest. Put your watermark on, whichever method is your favourite. Then if you want, click in the canvas, hit the TAB key to hide the docks.

example animation: https://i.imgur.com/Bp7WiSx.mp4
(07-17-2024, 08:42 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Just to add to PixLabs post, It looks like you have used the TAB key to hide the docks, TAB again to unhide  (or the alternative is in the Windows menu -> Hide Docks toggle.

That gets you (hopefully) the Tools and Tool Options, You can see the active function Brightness - Contrast is a GEGL function. Switch to a neutral tool, the measure tool is the safest. Put your watermark on, whichever method is your favourite. Then if you want, click in the canvas, hit the TAB key to hide the docks.

example animation: https://i.imgur.com/Bp7WiSx.mp4

Thank you for your answer, but I don't use a 'Toolbox'. I selected the 'Brightness-Contrast' from the drop-down menu in the top of Gimp, when altering another photo. I don't see how I could still have it selected. pressing TAB doesn't work.

Although belatedly I saw your bracketed tip, the Windows menu - > Hide Docks toggle. That worked. Thank you so much, it was so frustrating an error, as I always use GIMP how I showed in my original screenshot, and with the menus dropping down. I hadn't changed it, so there must have been a ghost, but I am glad I could get your 'ghost-fighting' help. Thank you so much Smile

Thank you both PixLab and Rich2005. I appreciate your time and help very much.