Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't use ctrl + alt + scroll wheel to change brush size
i recently had to reinstall linux mint, and upon reinstalling GIMP 2.99, i discover that i can't use these keyboard? shortcuts anymore
and i can't assign them either, because the scroll wheel doesn't count as a key
what do i do to get those back?

the shortcuts in question being:
- ctrl + alt + scroll wheel: change brush size
- alt + scroll wheel: change brush opacity
(09-13-2023, 04:20 PM)akirapink Wrote: i recently had to reinstall linux mint, and upon reinstalling GIMP 2.99, i discover that i can't use these keyboard? shortcuts anymore
Does that mean the scroll wheel was working previously with Gimp 2.99 ?

Quote:...and i can't assign them either, because the scroll wheel doesn't count as a key
what do i do to get those back?

the shortcuts in question being:
- ctrl + alt + scroll wheel: change brush size
- alt + scroll wheel: change brush opacity

Is the Gimp 2.99 installation a flatpak or a snap ?

Just for info:
I have a Mint 21 VM with both Gimp 2.10.34 (from PPA) and Gimp 2.99.16 flatpak installed and the scroll wheel brush size works with 2.10 but not 2.99 so it is not the mouse wheel setting. The keyboard modifiers [ ] and { } for brush size are not working either.

Edit -> Preferences -> Input Controllers -> Mouse Wheel is there in Gimp 2.99 I changed the default ctr-alt to other settings but no joy, still not working.

best wait and see if anyone else has the same problem in linux, could be a bug
A bit more time today to have a look, this time kubuntu 20.04 and a Gimp 2.99.16 appimage

The controls are there in Edit -> Preferences -> Input Controllers -> Main Mouse Wheel and any change you make are saved in the User profile file controllerrc - it is a text file, have a look at it.

The mouse wheel does nothing and as far as I see no fix.

There are some bug reports about the key bindings, for example [ ] and { } for brush size not working, which might be equally applicable to the mouse wheel.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9738 and https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/me...uests/1013

The fix milestone is Gimp 2.99.18 so the mouse wheel might work then.
(09-14-2023, 11:13 AM)rich2005 Wrote: There are some bug reports about the key bindings, for example  [ ] and { } for brush size not working, which might be equally applicable to the mouse wheel.
The Tools shortcut keys (including []{}) not working is fixed in V2.99.17
(09-20-2023, 10:54 AM)programmer_ceds Wrote: The Tools shortcut keys (including []{}) not working is fixed in V2.99.17

Any ideas about the scroll-wheel control ?
(09-22-2023, 07:19 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 10:54 AM)programmer_ceds Wrote: The Tools shortcut keys (including []{}) not working is fixed in V2.99.17  

Any ideas about the scroll-wheel control ?

The mouse wheel with ctrl + alt or just alt are working for me in V2.99.17 self-build but not in V2.99.16 flatpak (both on Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon)

This issue looks to be in the right area but it was committed 10 months ago (which, I think, was before V2.99.16 was released) https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/6929

Can anyone else try this using the current master?
Just realised that MR !1013 (fixes issue #9738) actually works at a lower level - it doesn't just affect keyboard shortcuts but also the scroll wheel tools shortcuts. If I use app/actions/tools-commands.c from V2.99.16 the scroll wheel with ctrl or ctrl + alt has no effect; with the same file from the current master (V2.99.17) the scroll wheel works as it should.
(09-23-2023, 09:56 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Just realised that MR !1013 (fixes issue #9738) actually works at a lower level - it doesn't just affect keyboard shortcuts but also the scroll wheel tools shortcuts. If I use app/actions/tools-commands.c from V2.99.16 the scroll wheel with ctrl or ctrl + alt has no effect; with the same file from the current master (V2.99.17) the scroll wheel works as it should.

..does that mean for a regular user who does not compile their own dev version, the solution is wait for 2.99.18 ?
(09-24-2023, 08:18 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 09:56 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: Just realised that MR !1013 (fixes issue #9738) actually works at a lower level - it doesn't just affect keyboard shortcuts but also the scroll wheel tools shortcuts. If I use app/actions/tools-commands.c from V2.99.16 the scroll wheel with ctrl or ctrl + alt has no effect; with the same file from the current master (V2.99.17) the scroll wheel works as it should.

..does that mean for a regular user who does not compile their own dev version, the solution is wait for 2.99.18 ?

For those who don't build the master/development version I think that the options are:

1 continue using V2.99.16 and live with the problem whilst awaiting V2.99.18
2 go back to V2.10.34
3 try the nightly flatpak of V2.99.17 - any version of this downloaded now will include the fix https://www.gimp.org/downloads/devel/
Following on from the previous post there is a 4th way - although it's not pretty.

You could write a script that would run non-interactively for each action (increase brush size by 1, increase brush size by 10 etc.). The mouse and keyboard shortcuts can then call these functions (the same function can be called by both mouse and keyboard shortcuts). The scripts would need to be something along the lines of calling gimp-context-get-brush-size, adjusting the value returned by this function accordingly and then calling gimp-context-set-brush-size.

As I said not pretty but it would let you use V2.99.16. Then when V2.99.18 is released just delete the scripts and put the mouse and keyboard shortcuts back to their default settings (you could keep backup copies of shortcutsrc and controllerrc to make restoring the original settings easy).