Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to change default paste behavior
Question 
i noticed that recently(? not sure in which version this change was made), pressing the keys “ctrl v” no longer pastes as a floating selection, but as a layer

how can i make it so when i press ctrl v, the clipboard contents are pasted as a selection instead of a layer again?

specifically not reassigning the shortcut to “paste into selection”, because that only pastes into the existing selection, and doesn't allow me to move the pasted contents outside of the existing selection
(09-05-2023, 02:24 AM)akirapink Wrote: i noticed that recently(? not sure in which version this change was made), pressing the keys “ctrl v” no longer pastes as a floating selection, but as a layer

how can i make it so when i press ctrl v, the clipboard contents are pasted as a selection instead of a layer again?

specifically not reassigning the shortcut to “paste into selection”, because that only pastes into the existing selection, and doesn't allow me to move the pasted contents outside of the existing selection

No more, they removed. and if it was only that they did remove... Alignment tool you cannot anymore align by a number of pixels on X and Y Angry
Patrice
This is a recent change. Given the number of times we have had to explain the FS to people here, this is a welcome change. The FS was relic of times where RAM was scarce and layers expensive ( Edit > Fade existed for more or less the same reason and was removed earlier).
akirapink: You can use Shift + Ctrl + L to create a floating selection "in-place" in newer versions of GIMP. I don't think it works with the clipboard, but it lets you select part of the image and convert it to a floating selection. You can read more about the change and why it was made starting here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/is...te_1585010
(09-05-2023, 10:41 AM)CmykStudent Wrote: akirapink: You can use Shift + Ctrl + L to create a floating selection "in-place" in newer versions of GIMP. I don't think it works with the clipboard, but it lets you select part of the image and convert it to a floating selection. You can read more about the change and why it was made starting here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/is...te_1585010

You gave me hopes until I tried.
It cut, but does not copy Sad

Patrice
(09-05-2023, 10:49 AM)PixLab Wrote: You gave me hopes until I tried.
It cut, but does not copy  Sad

It's some situations like this where I'm really happy not to use a more up-to-date version.

But I know it's no use swimming against the tide, sooner or later I'll update and I'll have to conform to certain changes that come with the new versions. But until that time comes I really enjoy my old version.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Are we talking about versions beyond the latest stable version 2.10.34 ? Copy and paste works for me using 2.10.34. I use it frequently and would have to think about any further upgrades if we lose that capability.
(09-05-2023, 05:37 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: Are we talking about versions beyond the latest stable version 2.10.34 ?  Copy and paste works for me using 2.10.34.  I use it frequently and would have to think about any further upgrades if we lose that capability.

Quote:CmykStudent Wrote:
"You can read more about the change and why it was made starting here: 
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/is...te_1585010 "

In this link you can find out a little more.
Apparently this change came with the experimental version 2.99.14.
It could be a change that takes effect in future experimental versions and even when version 3.0 is released, or it could be discontinued, for now just experiments.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(09-05-2023, 05:56 PM)Krikor Wrote: In this link you can find out a little more.
Apparently this change came with the experimental version 2.99.14.
It could be a change that takes effect in future experimental versions and even when version 3.0 is released, or it could be discontinued, for now just experiments.

Their dev version tend to be definitive, as in their "news" they want GIMP 3 out ASAP like yesterday.

(09-05-2023, 12:41 PM)Krikor Wrote: It's some situations like this where I'm really happy not to use a more up-to-date version.

But I know it's no use swimming against the tide, sooner or later I'll update and I'll have to conform to certain changes that come with the new versions. But until that time comes I really enjoy my old version.

Outside of the multilayer selection, they remove a lot of things like this one > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9934
Max RGB removed (was hidden though), the possibility to squeeze the right panel like in 2.10 is no more, left as well, I prefer stop there, the list is quite long of ineptness and incoherence... They are living in their own microcosm Big Grin
Patrice
Can you install two versions of Gimp on the same computer?