Gimp-Forum.net
how to re-edit the colorized photo - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: how to re-edit the colorized photo (/Thread-how-to-re-edit-the-colorized-photo)

how to re-edit the colorized photo - lt72884 - 05-22-2024

Ok, so i have 6 black and white images that i opened as a stack in gimp 2.10. I have adjusted the levels to where they need to be. Now, i have made the mode from grayscale to rgb. 

I go colors>colorize and add the color im looking for. However, once i hit ok, i cant seem to find how to re-open the colorize box with the last color i used so i can change the color if i do not like it. ctrl+z is not an option because sometimes i need to change the color of the 6th photo just enough for it to change the entire stack a little bit. Unless there is a better way to coloize eac photo. 

I got the photos from the james web telescope. its the raw data. They were in fits files but i have converted them and aligned them using other software, now its just time to colorize each layer (named after the IR filter used) to the right color as per this image. Southern Ring Nebula (NIRCam Compass Image) | Webb (webbtelescope.org)

But i have found that i sometimes need to go back and adjust the color.

thanks

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - rich2005 - 05-22-2024

(05-22-2024, 08:39 AM)lt72884 Wrote: But i have found that i sometimes need to go back and adjust the color.

Is your procedure something like this ? https://esawebb.org/about/general/image-processing/

If you are using Gimp 2.10 and you want to go back at a later date, the only thing I can think of is put each image in the stack into its own layer group.  An overlay, (which can be changed)  in HSL mode seems to give the same result as a one-shot colorize, but you will have to try yourself.

[attachment=11878]

side by side in multi-window mode.

Otherwise, in the future Gimp 3 there are functions what allow re-editing, colorize is one of them. You might want to try the experimental Gimp 2.99.19 with all the caveats, Not for production work, Not backward compatible with Gimp 2.10 ...not...lots of things.

[attachment=11879]

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - lt72884 - 05-22-2024

yes, my procedure is very similar to that.

auto adjust levels
turn to rgb
use colorize
switch mode to lighten on all images

ok, its been a very long time since i have used the gimp or any software for editing. I switched gears a while back and went to school for aerospace engineering. So how do i add this layer you speak of? i know i right click somewhere and then select overlay? correct?

so how do i ad this new hsl layer and colorize it and then re-edit it if needs be?

i may try the new gimp as well, but lets see what 2.10 can do for me

thanks

its actually kind of fun having access to james web telescope.

https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast/Portal.html

in the target field at the top of screen i used ngc-3132
hit search
on left hand side under mission select jwst
on left hand side under instruments select niracam
search again
download 6 folders seperatly not at same time becasue chrome overwrites eachone for some reasson
use fits liberator to convert to tiff
use gimp

i think i got the idea, however, none of the reds want to show through.

I have the layer GROUP set to lighten only for the mode. But inside the group, a new layer (based on foreground color) is set to HSL

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - lt72884 - 05-24-2024

whats the best way to blend and to get the correct color?

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - PixLab - 05-24-2024

(05-22-2024, 04:39 PM)lt72884 Wrote: use fits liberator to convert to tiff

Can't download fits liberator... I suppose if we are on Linux they won't let us download anything (even the .exe)

Anyway, no need, thanks to NASA and GIMP as GIMP can open FITS 32 and 64-bit
Long ago folks at NASA asked the GIMP team if they can develop to open FITS, thus GIMP and from long ago, opens FITS even in 64 bit.

[attachment=11889]

and you got all there

[attachment=11890]

You just need to increase the Curves a bit like crazy before to put all those opened images as layers in different modes Big Grin
Thus you can just apply colors on each original FITS (one fits is composed of 7 "images" + the FITS "segm" (segmentation?) )
So, there is a lot to play and to understand Big Grin to get as perfect as on the JWST website Wink

[attachment=11891]

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - rich2005 - 05-24-2024

(05-24-2024, 05:01 AM)lt72884 Wrote: whats the best way to blend and to get the correct color?

Difficult to say, I do not know what the correct outcome looks like.

Red not showing ? Maybe check those layer modes again and is one galaxy image layer identical to another and masking it ?

I do not have a set of images but as a test this. Lighten mode for the layer group is additive so there is some interaction between colours. Not shown in this screenshot but you could add a solid black layer right at the bottom.

[attachment=11893]

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - lt72884 - 05-27-2024

Thanks for the great reply about gimp and fits. 

I did manage to open up the fits images and adjust as i did with fits liberator, only downfall is that gimp does not do alignment of images based on a star or a point, or does it and i just dont know how ?

however, fit liberator opens all 7 images as 1 image that you can adust. super nice because now i do not have to mess with all 7 images of just the one fits file

it would be cool if i could pick a point on 2 photos, and have a filter that aligns the photos up on those points.

lastly, how did you get the colored icons? i want that haha

thanks

Screen may have to be the image mode i need to use more often.

i think lighten is the wrong one in my opinion

i think you are right. thanks

RE: how to re-edit the colorized photo - PixLab - 05-28-2024

(05-27-2024, 03:26 AM)lt72884 Wrote: lastly, how did you get the colored icons? i want that haha

Go to Edit > Preferences, a window opens, follow the red arrows below (click on the image)

[attachment=11935]