Gimp-Forum.net
French Olympics - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: Other topics (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Other-topics)
+--- Forum: Watercooler (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Watercooler)
+--- Thread: French Olympics (/Thread-French-Olympics)

Pages: 1 2 3

French Olympics - Ofnuts - 05-31-2024

(05-31-2024, 09:46 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: Thanks for your help ofnuts I really appreciate it. Today was our first rainy day for months and I was able to finish a video I've been working on. I've given the Gimp 2.10.38 appimage a good workout and it's very stable. The difference between fuse-overlay-fs and kernel overlay has been reduced to one line of code.

I improved Mathmap on Ubuntu so if people are interested the newest files are here:
https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appimages-Made-From-Debs/releases/tag/Gimp-v2.10.38

Quote:Linux motto: we provide loaded pistols but also the bandages.

I guess my motto is 'you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs' Smile

The French must be getting excited about the Olympics. I remember the Sydney Olympics in 2000. I was driving taxis (pre-uber) and thought I would make a lot of money. I made the same because they designed the events around public transport. I did meet people from all around the globe and that was good.

Pretty much underwhelmed so far. They have engineered a hike on prices of public transport for the duration of the Games. They have evicted students from their social housing to make room for athletes (instead of building rooms for athletes that can later become social housing for students). Downtown Paris will be mostly closed up for the general populace. People who thought they could rake €€€ with their apartments are still looking for guests. And tickets sales aren't that good (and abysmal for the Paralympics).

In other words we aren't inviting the Games, we are invaded by them.

RE: an appimage testing problem that threw me - Tas_mania - 06-01-2024

Why not start a topic in Watercooler to discuss the 2024 Olympics?
I'm happy to start a topic there.

RE: French Olympics - Tas_mania - 06-01-2024

Wow! 54 days to go from the Olympic website.  This is a flashy site and I'm trying to figure out what the logo is Smile

[attachment=11947]

The venues are listed here.  So are the sponsors, all big companies. Most of the World will be watching on TV or online.

RE: French Olympics - Tas_mania - 06-03-2024

As for the mascot I prefer Tintin.

[attachment=11949]

At school the Tintin books were the most popular in the library Smile

RE: French Olympics - Tas_mania - 07-15-2024

I'm looking forward to seeing Ariarne Titmus swimming the 400m freestyle in Paris 2024.

[attachment=12115]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhVWryT7KMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56oiaIbK64

Ariarne is from here and although I'm not originally from here I would like to see her do well. Especially against the American Katie Ledecky. I also like long distance swimming. If you do it alot you become one with the water.

RE: French Olympics - Tas_mania - 07-27-2024

Really enjoyed the opening ceremony, watched a delayed TV stream because it was night here. Smile

Congratulations to France - evolving out of a stadium was a good move for sure even if they all got wet Sad

Also plenty of art on show, France is far ahead of the rest of us with art. It obviously still plays a big role in French culture. Great seeing boats of the different countries, worked so well IMHO.

Now sport for 2 weeks!

RE: French Olympics - Ofnuts - 07-27-2024

How much did they censor out there?

Quote:How much did they censor out there?

There was the red carpet on the bridge with unusual models in the rain. It was an interesting counterpoint to the boats below with athletes from the different countries. It looked like the richest countries had the most competitors. The techno and breakdancing was very cool and the laser lightshow on the Eiffel Tower was spectacular. Our TV reported the opening ceremony as 'creative' which was correct. It was very creative. The torch relay also extremely good and inclusive of other nations and disabled athletes.

Overall this Paris opening ceremony sent the right message to a troubled world. The use of water-proof technology like the laser lightshow and the rising flame sphere makes you guys the masters of putting on a great show.

Don't know what was censored because I didn't see it Huh

RE: French Olympics - Ofnuts - 07-27-2024

(07-27-2024, 08:22 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:How much did they censor out there?

There was the red carpet on the bridge with unusual models in the rain. It was an interesting counterpoint to the boats below with athletes from the different countries. It looked like the richest countries had the most competitors. The techno and breakdancing was very cool and the laser lightshow on the Eiffel Tower was spectacular. Our TV reported the opening ceremony as 'creative' which was correct. It was very creative. The torch relay also extremely good and inclusive of other nations and disabled athletes.

Overall this Paris opening ceremony sent the right message to a troubled world. The use of water-proof technology like the laser lightshow and the rising flame sphere makes you guys the masters of putting on a great show.

Don't know what was censored because I didn't see it Huh

Did you get the blue genie on a fruit plate towards the end? Appears to have been quite censored.

My preferred bits:
  • the intro with Zidane, the kids, and the Assassin's Creed character
  • the Louvre and the characters that escaped
  • the Minions submarine
  • the horseman on the water
  • the balloon
Worth a yawn: Lady Gaga, Nadal & al getting wet in a boat

Quote:Did you get the blue genie on a fruit plate towards the end? Appears to have been quite censored.

Yes he was shown. I wonder if it was a standard telecast? A lot of it I didn't understand. There were social messages but Australians saw real diversity and personal independence that are not part of this culture.

In some ways the rain enhanced it. The torch going past a deserted Louvre was like Metropolis or a sci-fi movie.