Gimp-Forum.net
Changing what the tilde key does? - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Changing what the tilde key does? (/Thread-Changing-what-the-tilde-key-does)

Changing what the tilde key does? - OonaMistwalker - 08-24-2024

I'm running Gimp 3.10.38 in Windows 11 on an HP Envy Laptop built for the US market. I use "International Keyboard" option in my operating system to type in other languages. I need to type French text into an image, but when I try to use the key that types the tilde ( the ~/ key. It's to the left of the 1 key), it changes the zoom of the image to 100%. How do I unbind this so it will type the characters on the ~/ key?

RE: Changing what the tilde key does? - rich2005 - 08-24-2024

(08-24-2024, 08:50 AM)OonaMistwalker Wrote: I'm running Gimp 3.10.38 in Windows 11 on an HP Envy Laptop built for the US market. I use "International Keyboard" option in my operating system to type in other languages. I need to type French text into an image, but when I try to use the key that types the tilde ( the ~/ key. It's to the left of the 1 key), it changes the zoom of the image to 100%. How do I unbind this so it will type the characters on the ~/ key?

I do have a US keyboard gathering dust Wink  The tilde is above the grave accent (backtick) character.

What you can try is, Edit ->  Keyboard Shortcuts  Use zoom as the search term. Look for Revert Zoom entry which uses the grave accent and clear it with the backspace key to disable.

[attachment=12284]

However, as far as I know, typing a ~ into a text layer should work. There are ways of entering characters with accents into a Gimp text layer using unicode entry codes, but that is another story.

RE: Changing what the tilde key does? - Krikor - 08-24-2024

[attachment=12285]

RE: Changing what the tilde key does? - rich2005 - 08-24-2024

With the text box active a key press should not bring up a zoom. It might be a Windows 11 thing, I do not know, I only have a Win10 VM

The International Keyboard option is similar to the linux compose key press a hot key + characters to get the required accent.

Great when it works, but in case not, the longer unicode entry shift-ctrl-u +code looks like this.

[attachment=12286]

These are combining diacritical marks code 0300 to 0362 which apply to the preceding character.
You do need to put the text tool into simple entry mode, right-click in text box and goto input method.

RE: Changing what the tilde key does? - Ofnuts - 08-24-2024

(08-24-2024, 08:50 AM)OonaMistwalker Wrote: I'm running Gimp 3.10.38 in Windows 11 on an HP Envy Laptop built for the US market. I use "International Keyboard" option in my operating system to type in other languages. I need to type French text into an image, but when I try to use the key that types the tilde ( the ~/ key. It's to the left of the 1 key), it changes the zoom of the image to 100%. How do I unbind this so it will type the characters on the ~/ key?

Hmm. On my AZERTY keyboard the ~ key is an AltGr one, because it s not on the standard AZERTY because it is not used in French typography (well, actually very rare, only in a few family names). So what kind of French are you tying that requires it?