Gimp-Forum.net
Unable to fill the selection with black color - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Unable to fill the selection with black color (/Thread-Unable-to-fill-the-selection-with-black-color)

Unable to fill the selection with black color - viki - 08-29-2024

Hi i completely new to the GIMP .I want to make a logo black for that i first selected the logo by by using select by color and then tried deleting the selection by pressing the delete key it didnt do anything except dimming the image a bit then i found i need to add alpha channel to delete the white red color background now the issue is as i have the text in white color i need to fill the selection with black so i inverted the selection pressing ctrl+I and then used bucket fill tool but i could not fill it with any color except for white color and i also tried colorize in colors there too i cant change the color .I dont know what step i should follow to make the text to black

link to my drive of the way i did kindly help me find what i did wrong

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BCmgTI8PWQk8elsuYUGfMVQ75_LCcKcr/view?usp=drive_link

RE: Unable to fill the selection with black color - PixLab - 08-29-2024

Your image is in indexed color, go to Image > Mode > RGB to remove the Indexed color and be able to put the color you want.

You might not be aware but the mode of your Bucket-fill Tool is in Merge mode, maybe to want to put it in Normal mode.

[attachment=12309]

RE: Unable to fill the selection with black color - sallyanne - 08-29-2024

[attachment=12314]
If you want to make your logo black and white, (I notice you have white writing) just desaturate it. No need with messing with selections, deletions or even with the bucket fill. Go to color in the top menu and down to desaturate and choose desaturate. Default settings. If it is not dark enough do a default settings threshold on it as in attachment.

RE: Unable to fill the selection with black color - PixLab - 08-29-2024

(08-29-2024, 12:02 PM)sallyanne Wrote:
If you want to make your logo black and white, (I notice you have white writing) just desaturate it. No need with messing with selections, deletions or even with the bucket fill. Go to color in the top menu and down to desaturate and choose desaturate. Default settings. If it is not dark enough do a default settings threshold on it as in attachment.

What the OP wants is to have all the red transparent, like Colors > Color to Alpha

[attachment=12316]

Then have the full remaining logo which is all white in black, like Colors > Invert

[attachment=12317]

At least, it's what the OP shows on its video by selecting one by one in addition the parts in white and saying ".I want to make a logo black" in its comment.

[attachment=12320]

RE: Unable to fill the selection with black color - viki - 08-29-2024

(08-29-2024, 03:47 AM)PixLab Wrote: Your image is in indexed color, go to Image > Mode > RGB to remove the Indexed color and be able to put the color you want.

You might not be aware but the mode of your Bucket-fill Tool is in Merge mode, maybe to want to put it in Normal mode.

Thanks ,its working now.Keep up the good work.

Thanks tried your method working well.

RE: Unable to fill the selection with black color - Ofnuts - 08-30-2024

Thresholding makes the edges pixellated. Increase Contrast or use Levels is fine, but Threshold truly messes the edges.