Gimp-Forum.net
android phone and photos - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: android phone and photos (/Thread-android-phone-and-photos)

android phone and photos - oui - 09-29-2024

I am using portable phone only to phone and shoot photos, nothing more because my bad eyes don't like the little screens and bad keyboards. Until now I did use a very old portable phone for old peoples with big keys, cam but very little screen. It was possible to connect it directly with linux per USB cable and use it as memory card reader, a very comfortable way also to accede to the photos or files. But the back wall of the battery was part of the box of the phone. In the last time, it was not possible to continue to use that "phonausor" because of any power of the battery was loose and no way to find a new fresh one... As in Germany where I live, (old) new tablets with android 10..12 are offered very cheap, I did buy one small one as phone and a 10" tablet (with high resolution screen) one as my future tool to process photos, picture and maps.

So I am dependent from tablets (it is completely new for me) or laptop screens to do the rest.

But the first problem for me is to transmit the shoot photos to large 10" tablett alt. to my old linux laptop (it is preferable as I actually discover and not really know the android app's and tools).

I did connect an USB cable. Nothing to do: no communication turned on or turned off (the old portable phone did have to be turned off to be only some kind of memory card reader!).

I did find at "akp pure" in android (as I prefer to avoid the services from google) 2 "gimp-s". a small one and a very large one (not very good for the portable phone tablet having a small memory capacity).

The commands of the small gimp (for the phone! For the large tablet 10" I will in the future install the big "gimp" for android, of course!) are totally different from those in linux, and not evident! For ex. save the actual stage of the transformation of the original photo (as a different doc to don't alter the original, of cours!). No Alt-S ... But the app claims to save. And no save function (preserving or not) in the very small menu!

What would be the best succession of commands to make out the large original photos very little ones to, for ex., publish in forum threads etc.?

How to transmit the photos from Android to Linux (of course each on a separate tablet/PC)?

Is there no handbook for android app's, espec. for gimp mini or gimp full for Android?

RE: android phone and photos - Ofnuts - 09-30-2024

There is no true Gimp for Android. They are all abusing the name. One of them is a true Gimp that runs in the cloud.

Normally when you connect a PC and an Android phone by USB, there is a pop up on the phone asking if the USB is for charge only or for file transfer. There is also a global setting to enable/disable this. Search "USB" in the settings. But you should really asking in a forum dedicated to Android and/or the specific tablet

RE: android phone and photos - Tas_mania - 09-30-2024

I use gMTP to transfer pictures/videos from my android phone to my Linux PC. As ofnuts said the phone device often asks to 'trust' the PC.

[attachment=12409]

RE: android phone and photos - rich2005 - 09-30-2024

Quote:How to transmit the photos from Android to Linux (of course each on a separate tablet/PC)?

I use KDEconnect and bluetooth for the occasional transfer. The equivalent for gnome is gsconnect.

RE: android phone and photos - Ofnuts - 09-30-2024

A more indirect method i is to use a USB key. My Android phone recognizes a USB key in its USB6C socket, and I can copy files to it using my file manager.  You can easily find USB keys with a USB-C connector (and if necessary keys that have a USB-C at one end and a USB-A at the other, so they work with phone and PC without requiring an adapter).

Possibly the fastest method if you have many photos to transfer.