Gimp-Forum.net
Imported png image transparency problem - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Imported png image transparency problem (/Thread-Imported-png-image-transparency-problem)

Imported png image transparency problem - rabbitdestiny - 10-01-2024

When I try to import a png image with transparency, the checkers in the background remain there and not see through. I have tried right clicking the layer and adding "add alpha channel" and also doing layer>transparency>add alpha channel but it remains the same.

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - PixLab - 10-02-2024

The checkers in the background are a representation of transparency, in other words where you see the checkers it is transparent.

Because developers cannot make their application transparent when an image has transparencies, for example seeing your Desktop thru GIMP, the checkers in the background are a representation of transparency, in other words where you see the checkers it is transparent.

It's a standard, image viewers have checker, Krita has checkers, Photoshop has checkers, etc, etc... Wink

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - denzjos - 10-02-2024

Have you downloaded the png file or taken a screenshot of it? When you take a screenshot of a PNG file, the checkerboard background becomes part of the image.

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - Ofnuts - 10-02-2024

Quick test: zoom the image in and out. If:
  • The individual squares of the checkerboard pattern keep their size: this is Gimp's own background and the image is truly transparent
  • The size of the individual squares changes with the zoom level: they are part of the image and the image isn't transparent. On site with paying images the sample images do have the checkerboard pattern baked in and aren't really transparent.
You can also changes the background pattern appearance in Preferences  > Interface > Display and see if that changes what you see.

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - rich2005 - 10-02-2024

[attachment=12416]Just to my two euros worth.

Many of the "free" sites for PNG with transparency are not very free. It is possible to click on a Download button for the image and often give them "sign-up" details to get the image.

What you see on the site is a "preview" and a right click - download in your browser just downloads that preview, with fake transparency.  As well as the other methods, the checker pattern will erase, actual checker transparency does not.

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - PixLab - 10-02-2024

(10-02-2024, 06:34 AM)denzjos Wrote: Have you downloaded the png file or taken a screenshot of it? When you take a screenshot of a PNG file, the checkerboard background becomes part of the image.

(10-02-2024, 07:31 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Quick test: zoom the image in and out. If:
  • The individual squares of the checkerboard pattern keep their size: this is Gimp's own background and the image is truly transparent
  • The size of the individual squares changes with the zoom level: they are part of the image and the image isn't transparent. On site with paying images the sample images do have the checkerboard pattern baked in and aren't really transparent.
You can also changes the background pattern appearance in Preferences  > Interface > Display and see if that changes what you see.

(10-02-2024, 07:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Just to my two euros worth.

Many of the "free" sites for PNG with transparency are not very free. It is possible to click on a Download button for the image and often give them "sign-up" details to get the image.

What you see on the site is a "preview" and a right click - download in your browser just downloads that preview, with fake transparency.  As well as the other methods, the checker pattern will erase, actual checker transparency does not.

I wanted to speak about those fake backgrounds, but I told myself "Patrice you are becoming traumatized or psychotic by those people asking (more often) about why the checkers are not transparent on fake transparency images, ➤ so just explain what checkers are..."

Thanks guys I don't feel alone anymore  Big Grin

Sadly it becomes a reality with people downloading more and more often only the preview with fake transparent BG, due to those pseudo free website misleading people  Sad

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - rabbitdestiny - 10-03-2024

thank you for the overwhelming number of responses. it seems it may not be possible to achieve this in gimp, so i will try to use blenders color ramp to remove the background and make it see through while still keeping the needed image present.

RE: Imported png image transparency problem - rich2005 - 10-04-2024

(10-03-2024, 10:06 PM)rabbitdestiny Wrote: thank you for the overwhelming number of responses. it seems it may not be possible to achieve this in gimp, so i will try to use blenders color ramp to remove the background and make it see through while still keeping the needed image present.

Depends on the complexity of the image but in Gimp use the Foreground Extract tool to generate a selection to exclude the background. Then invert selection, cut selection

see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-foreground-select.html