Gimp-Forum.net
Print problem - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Print problem (/Thread-Print-problem)

Print problem - annewilson - 10-08-2024

Long time since I used GIMP, so almost newbie-dumb.  I am trying to print an 8x10 image with feathered margins.  I have no preview, which makes it a long-winded problem.  After many attempts I still have a large margin at the top and no or almost no margin at the bottom.  Can someone please point me to the dialogue I should be altering?  Any hints for printing would be gratefully received.

RE: Print problem - rich2005 - 10-08-2024

(10-08-2024, 04:29 PM)annewilson Wrote: Long time since I used GIMP, so almost newbie-dumb.  I am trying to print an 8x10 image with feathered margins. 

Does that mean that the image print size is 8"x 10"  What shows in Image -> Print Size This my example.

[attachment=12430]

Quote:I have no preview, which makes it a long-winded problem. 

Is that the Gimp Print dialogue That is File -> Print then Image Settings.  There was a problem with the Windows little preview window being blank, but I think that was fixed.  Are you using the latest Gimp 2.10.38 ?

EDIT: If using Windows 11, that might be the problem. Some reports along the lines of: In Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft has replaced the legacy Print Dialog for all classic (win32) apps. Looking at the Gimp 2.10 Windows printing plugins then file-print Print the image using the GTK+ Print API and it probably using the Gimp 32 bit section. But I do knot know since I do not have a Win11 machine.

Quote:After many attempts I still have a large margin at the top and no or almost no margin at the bottom.  Can someone please point me to the dialogue I should be altering? 

A bit more information on Image size and resolution needed to give a sensible reply.

Quote:Any hints for printing would be gratefully received.

Truthfully, Windows Gimp print plugin is old and not so good. Often it is better to use something else to print. LibreOffice or XnViewMP for example.

RE: Print problem - annewilson - 10-10-2024

(10-08-2024, 05:48 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 04:29 PM)annewilson Wrote: Long time since I used GIMP, so almost newbie-dumb.  I am trying to print an 8x10 image with feathered margins. 

Quote: Does that mean that the image print size is 8"x 10"  What shows in Image -> Print Size This my example.

The paper is 8"x 10".  What I want to achieve is very similar to the image you show - a full frame print with a soft edge.  It's a memorial photo for my late husband

Quote:I have no preview, which makes it a long-winded problem. 

Quote: Is that the Gimp Print dialogue That is File -> Print then Image Settings.  There was a problem with the Windows little preview window being blank, but I think that was fixed.  Are you using the latest Gimp 2.10.38 ? {/quote]

Yes, 2.10.38 Revision 1 under Windows 11.  As soon as I hit Print it switches to the Windows print dialogue, and says "No preview available"

EDIT:  If using Windows 11, that might be the problem.  Some reports along the lines of: In Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft has replaced the legacy Print Dialog for all classic (win32) apps. Looking at the Gimp 2.10 Windows printing plugins then file-print  Print the image using the GTK+ Print API and it probably using the Gimp 32 bit section. But I do knot know since I do not have a Win11 machine.

Quote:After many attempts I still have a large margin at the top and no or almost no margin at the bottom.  Can someone please point me to the dialogue I should be altering? 

Quote:A bit more information on Image size and resolution needed to give a sensible reply.

I tried to add a screenshot, but maybe it was too big.  I'll play with this part, basing my attempts on the one you provided.

Quote:Any hints for printing would be gratefully received.

Quote:Truthfully, Windows Gimp print plugin is old and not so good. Often it is better to use something else to print. LibreOffice or XnViewMP for example.

I did think of that, but I haven't managed to sort the feathering yet.  My latest effort has wide margins (maybe caused by my attempts to feather it?).  I don't have the option of going back to Linux for some time, but still hope to get there in a few months.  Meanwhile I'm struggling.

RE: Print problem - rich2005 - 10-10-2024

I hate quoting everything so a summary:

Quote:
(1) The paper is 8"x 10". What I want to achieve is very similar to the image you show - a full frame print with a soft edge. It's a memorial photo for my late husband.

(2) 2.10.38 Revision 1 under Windows 11. As soon as I hit Print it switches to the Windows print dialogue, and says "No preview available"

(3) I tried to add a screenshot, but maybe it was too big. I'll play with this part, basing my attempts on the one you provided.

(4) I haven't managed to sort the feathering yet. My latest effort has wide margins (maybe caused by my attempts to feather it?). I don't have the option of going back to Linux for some time, but still hope to get there in a few months. Meanwhile I'm struggling.

(1) For home printing, 8" x 10" photo paper is a bit of an odd size, you would tend to go for US letter 8.5" x 11" or A4 8.3" x 11.7" and print then trim the paper.
Regardless, the way is create an 8" x 10" canvas @ 300 pixels-per-inch File -> New Then Paste (or Open as Layers) the image into it, do your editing. What you see in Gimp is what you get. Print at 100% and you can ignore the lack of page preview.

(2) Not much you can do about Win 11 at the moment. Does your printer come with any editing / printing software ?

(3) Do not worry about it, there is a 500kb limit on attachments. You can use say, imgur.com and post the link.

(4) Ok, you want tips on adding a feathered edge. All sorts of ways for that.
You do not need to post your image. Is it a scanned photo ? Just give the size in pixels Open in Gimp, top bar shows the size in pixels. Give that info and we can sort out a suitable method for you.

RE: Print problem - rich2005 - 10-11-2024

@annewilson
In case you come back, a couple of video demos, Not YT which has become a real pain to use, these are on my cloud storage.  I have split into two because of your printing issue.

First the image in Gimp, making a very simple edge fade. More complicated ways might involve pre-made edge masks.
https://filedn.com/lkb9dw6mEfXSsOu9uKLaM14/protrait-with-fade.mp4  About 4 minutes duration.

1. New 8"x 10" @300 ppi canvas
2. File -> Open as Layers the Image.
3. Scale the image to suit the canvas
4. Make a selection
5. Add rounded corners Select -> Rounded Rectangle
6. Feather the selection, Select -> Feather
7. That is the middle of the selection, you want the outside so Select -> Invert
8. Edit -> Cut
9. ...and if that is ok Select -> None otherwise back off (ctrl-Z) and adjust the amount of feather.
10 Always Save your work for the future.

A bit about printing.
https://filedn.com/lkb9dw6mEfXSsOu9uKLaM14/portrait-print-ways.mp4   About 2 and a half minutes duration.

I do not have a Win 11 so the Gimp print is Win 10. Should work even without a preview.
...but as an alternative, Export the image to a PDF, open and print with Windows Browser.