Gimp-Forum.net
GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed (/Thread-GIMP-will-never-be-what-PS-is-until-these-things-are-fixed)

Pages: 1 2

GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Photoshopsince2000 - 10-09-2024

I would like to make a few suggestions to the developers, but I'm not sure the best place or line of contact to do so. Any idea how I could reach out to them?

I've been using Photoshop since 2000 or v5.0/6.0. There are two things that made Photoshop the standard. How it's selections work, and how it's layers work.
This mentality when someone says, "Gimp is not like Photoshop", people often respond back and say, "GIMP is not trying to be like Photoshop" I say that's a poor excuse. Photoshop is an industry standard because it is the best - Period - End of story.

I love what GIMP is doing, and I really would love to get away from Adobe. I think software as a service is only going to harm Adobe in the long run as students find alternative to subscriptions, they are shrinking their base of users in the long run, and it's expensive for something you don't own. 

But GIMP still feels inefficient to me and I say this because I care and I want GIMP to succeed. 
  • The way the layers flatten when you move things. I know this can be toggled, but it still feels buggy. Maybe I don't know something, but I can't get use to this program, feels strange why someone would want automated flattening that you have to go back on undo.  Photoshop is simple, you just create a layer and its like an invisible floating independent object that lets you do anything to the object it contains. Maybe this will change in 3.0 as more tools become non destructive. GIMP needs it's layers to function independently of the other objects by default. You can always go back and merge all layers, or specific layers with with layers you specifically select or at least you can in Photoshop.
  • The Selections in Photoshop are amazing. GIMP needs to copy this. They let you create any shape you want and then you can apply these selections adds or cuts not only to layers, but you can use them to cut a layer in half. Adobe calls this Layer Via Cut when you right click in a selection. GIMP needs Layer Via Cut.
  • Photoshop lets you transform the actual selection before you apply it. you can rotate the selection, change its shape...ect GIMP needs a transform selection.
  • Last where is the Polygonal Lasso tool? Maybe I missed it, but it's one of the most common tools in editing software. Is there a Polygonal Lasso tool in GIMP?
Rather than trying to be different, I would try to copy Photoshop.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - sallyanne - 10-09-2024

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: I would like to make a few suggestions to the developers, but I'm not sure the best place or line of contact to do so. Any idea how I could reach out to them?

I've been using Photoshop since 2000 or v5.0/6.0. There are two things that made Photoshop the standard. How it's selections work, and how it's layers work.
This mentality when someone says, "Gimp is not like Photoshop", people often respond back and say, "GIMP is not trying to be like Photoshop" I say that's a poor excuse. Photoshop is an industry standard because it is the best - Period - End of story.

I love what GIMP is doing, and I really would love to get away from Adobe. I think software as a service is only going to harm Adobe in the long run as students find alternative to subscriptions, they are shrinking their base of users in the long run, and it's expensive for something you don't own. 

But GIMP still feels inefficient to me and I say this because I care and I want GIMP to succeed. 
  • The way the layers flatten when you move things. I know this can be toggled, but it still feels buggy. Maybe I don't know something, but I can't get use to this program, feels strange why someone would want automated flattening that you have to go back on undo.  Photoshop is simple, you just create a layer and its like an invisible floating independent object that lets you do anything to the object it contains. Maybe this will change in 3.0 as more tools become non destructive. GIMP needs it's layers to function independently of the other objects by default. You can always go back and merge all layers, or specific layers with with layers you specifically select or at least you can in Photoshop.
  • The Selections in Photoshop are amazing. GIMP needs to copy this. They let you create any shape you want and then you can apply these selections adds or cuts not only to layers, but you can use them to cut a layer in half. Adobe calls this Layer Via Cut when you right click in a selection. GIMP needs Layer Via Cut.
  • Photoshop lets you transform the actual selection before you apply it. you can rotate the selection, change its shape...ect GIMP needs a transform selection.
  • Last where is the Polygonal Lasso tool? Maybe I missed it, but it's one of the most common tools in editing software. Is there a Polygonal Lasso tool in GIMP?
No developers here you will have to make your complaints somewhere else - besides gimp is nothing 'like' photo shop it is better!

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Photoshopsince2000 - 10-09-2024

Apparently you are right, this is not the place. I guess this is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
As far as it being better, If it works for you, then it's better.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - PixLab - 10-10-2024

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: I would like to make a few suggestions to the developers, but I'm not sure the best place or line of contact to do so. Any idea how I could reach out to them?

No you don't care, what you care is that you want to stop to pay adobe every month and have a free copycat of Photoshop with GIMP looking and acting EXACTLY like Photoshop.
You do not want to learn GIMP, you want GIMP to be Photoshop for your own interest, just re-read the pamphlet you wrote, it's exactly that.

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote:

I confirm you don't know something about GIMP, when you move layers in GIMP, they do not "auto-flatten", I never heard that from someone, and you can do anything you want with just that layer...

Learn GIMP! You can add and cut selection as well
For instance, your Layer via cut: Ctrl+X ➤ Ctrl+V ➤ Ctrl+Shift+N, in other words ➤ cut then paste and click on that first green button in the layers' dialog to put that floating selection on a new layer, or do it via the Edit and Layer top menu, but did you look at the top menu?

GIMP has it as well, you can rotate, increase decrease size, transform a selection and so on.... did I said > learn GIMP?

It's called the "Free Select tool"... again learn GIMP... to know how to do straight line with it (hint: try with Ctrl if you need to control angle by 15 degrees)

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: Rather than trying to be different, I would try to copy Photoshop.

I don't want my GIMP to look like Photoshop, I'm so used to it, and is way more customizable than Photoshop.
when I dropped Photoshop almost a decade ago after using it for more than 15 years, it took me just few days to find GIMP user friendly,
what I often saw is people with poor knowledge of Photoshop that complains, they have a very basic understanding of Photoshop, use always the same few tools for eons and when they change software they get lost... just my experience about what I see on internet.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Photoshopsince2000 - 10-10-2024

I don't really see the crime in voicing an idea. It seem like you do.

The layers are flattening on me when I drag a layer. Not sure why but as soon as I move an object it flattens down the bottom layer. Maybe a bug.

So I don't doubt you that many of these things are possible. But I'm reading posts with PS users asking the same questions and GIMP users are coming back and saying many of these things are not there or they requires more steps.
I've used Photoshop for 24 years, how many years have you used it to make a comparison? I've used both. I don't really see the crime in voicing an idea to try to improve something. I mean if people close their eyes and ears, how are you to move forward.  I'm not a software programmer, I'm just a software user and my experiences are the best I can offer.

And yes you are right. i do want it to work like PS...lol because it's free and I know PS. you caught me.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - denzjos - 10-10-2024

It's how you look at it. Any software must be learned. Few people know the full capabilities of certain software and some are familiar with certain software. In this case, I'm quite happy with GIMP. It meets my needs and it's free. Thanks to the programmers who work selflessly to combat the expensive PS

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Ofnuts - 10-10-2024

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: The way the layers flatten when you move things. I know this can be toggled, but it still feels buggy. Maybe I don't know something, but I can't get use to this program, feels strange why someone would want automated flattening that you have to go back on undo.  Photoshop is simple, you just create a layer and its like an invisible floating independent object that lets you do anything to the object it contains. Maybe this will change in 3.0 as more tools become non destructive. GIMP needs it's layers to function independently of the other objects by default. You can always go back and merge all layers, or specific layers with with layers you specifically select or at least you can in Photoshop.

Uh? What "flattening are you talking about?

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: The Selections in Photoshop are amazing. GIMP needs to copy this. They let you create any shape you want and then you can apply these selections adds or cuts not only to layers, but you can use them to cut a layer in half. Adobe calls this Layer Via Cut when you right click in a selection. GIMP needs Layer Via Cut.

There is a script for this somewhere on the Internet ((because one thing with Gimp is that it can be scripted and augmented with plugins left and right, and these scripts/plugins are usually availabel for free)

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: Photoshop lets you transform the actual selection before you apply it. you can rotate the selection, change its shape...ect GIMP needs a transform selection.

All transform tools have a "Transform selection" mode (the red square icon) in the Transform line at the top if the tool options. when you click that the tools applies to the selection mask, not the selected pixels.

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: Last where is the Polygonal Lasso tool? Maybe I missed it, but it's one of the most common tools in editing software. Is there a Polygonal Lasso tool in GIMP?

It's part of the lasso. Just click+release, move, click+release, move....

(10-09-2024, 10:49 PM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: Rather than trying to be different, I would try to copy Photoshop.

Gimp doesn't "try" to be different, it is the way it is. It is decidedly not a PS clone. If you want PS, use PS.

To formally ask for improvements, see here. But make sure you really know how Gimp works first.

You can also discuss (sometimes) with developers here.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - PixLab - 10-10-2024

(10-10-2024, 06:10 AM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: I don't really see the crime in voicing an idea. It seem like you do.
......./ I put them toghether Wink /................
I've used Photoshop for 24 years, how many years have you used it to make a comparison? I've used both. I don't really see the crime in voicing an idea to try to improve something. I mean if people close their eyes and ears, how are you to move forward.  I'm not a software programmer, I'm just a software user and my experiences are the best I can offer.

Indeed it's not a crime, and requests are very welcome, but what you were asking is already in GIMP... and the pamphlet you wrote was looking like...  Wink

(10-10-2024, 06:10 AM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: The layers are flattening on me when I drag a layer. Not sure why but as soon as I move an object it flattens down the bottom layer. Maybe a bug.

If you could do a screencast, and put it on imgur.com for instance, with a link here for us to see what's going on, or a screenshot at minima, I'm sure we will find out why.
maybe you are hitting a shotcut key involuntarily while selecting the layer you want to move in the layers' dock/dialog?

(10-10-2024, 06:10 AM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: So I don't doubt you that many of these things are possible. But I'm reading posts with PS users asking the same questions and GIMP users are coming back and saying many of these things are not there or they requires more steps.

Ask here! Don't hesitate, the two admins and other members have great knowledge about GIMP and every one will be happy to help you, and not only that, but you will learn/see different point of view/methods  Wink

(10-10-2024, 06:10 AM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: And yes you are right. i do want it to work like PS...lol because it's free and I know PS. you caught me.

Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

Please have a great day

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Krikor - 10-10-2024

[...]

There is definitely a consensus here on this issue. I endorse that consensus and have no interest in the team behind GIMP being forced to mirror themselves on another image editor.

One suggestion is that you stop using GIMP and start using Photopeia.

RE: GIMP will never be what PS is until these things are fixed - Photoshopsince2000 - 10-11-2024

@Ofnuts
Thank you for your constructive post! The layers are flattening at random times I'm sure what that's about, but it does not happen in PS unless I specifically tell it to flatten. I'll watch a few videos on it and see what I can come up with.

Well two of the developers informed me this morning that a few of what I suggested is not possible at the moment. The direct selection is there and obviously there are other ways of doing things but not as efficient.

I simply came here to ask and took the time to present ideas from my experience that might be useful additions in the near future. A few immature people here came  back with defensive responses like we're not interested. People that don't like ideas or input, then walk with your eyes closed in the dark and see how far you get in life with that attitude. ya ya. I know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've always agree with that. I say to those people, spend 24 years on PS and then tell me what it's missing. Nothing-It's already perfect. I'll start watching Youtube lessons and learning GIMP. Hows that for a deal?
If GIMP is so much better than PS, then explain why 99 percent of professional studios don't use it? Because they want to spend money on licenses? or it must be something else. I didn't come here to say that GIMP was not as good. I just wanted to throw a few functionality and tool ideas out there the pub that are in PS. No big deal. I can say one thing, the developers were a LOT more mature then some of you and showed appreciation.

have a wonderful day.