Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotating a selection
Can't figure out what I'm missing here, but I'm selecting just one part of a layer and what to rotate just that (ie. not the entire image or layer); however, after making the selection, the only thing that rotates is the selection outline. The actual image remains unaffected
In the tool options, check the "Transform" options (top row of icons). Your Rotate tool is likely in "Transform selection" mode (second icon) when it should be in "Transform layer" mode (first icon).
(09-04-2020, 06:30 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In the tool options, check the "Transform" options (top row of icons). Your Rotate tool is likely in "Transform selection" mode (second icon) when it should be in "Transform layer" mode (first icon).

Yup. I thought selecting 'layer' would rotate the entire layer; hence I had it in 'Transform Selection'. That labeling seems rather counter-intuitive then.

Thank you sir
(09-04-2020, 04:00 PM)rmmwilg Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 06:30 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In the tool options, check the "Transform" options (top row of icons). Your Rotate tool is likely in "Transform selection" mode (second icon) when it should be in "Transform layer" mode (first icon).

Yup. I thought selecting 'layer' would rotate the entire layer; hence I had it in 'Transform Selection'. That labeling seems rather counter-intuitive then.

Thank you sir

The ambiguity of "Selection" that can mean either the "Selection mask" or the "Selected pixels" is all over the place (but seems to exist also in PS).
The title threw me off. When you asked how to  Rotating a selection, I thought you meant the selection itself. In Photoshop, you can rotate the actual selection itself, not the contents of the selection. In PS if you wanted to rotate the contents, you would click the move tool. Another thing about GIMP that's strange to me.
(10-11-2024, 10:25 AM)Photoshopsince2000 Wrote: In PS if you wanted to rotate the contents, you would click the move tool. Another thing about GIMP that's strange to me.

In Gimp if you want to rotate something, you use the Rotate tool(*), not the Move tool. Another thing about PS that's strange to me.

(*) You can also use the Unified Transform tool. And you can also move things in the Rotate tool, even if it's usually simpler to use the Move tool for this.
]As ofnuts said you have to check the correct icon in the tool options for 'Rotate'
[attachment=12438
There are 4 icons.  Layer, Selection, Path, Image.

A 'selection' is the thing with the marching ants, Not the thing selected.
Maybe something you have to get used too. You can have something selected and not be a selection

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Smile