Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal, Docked Toolbox
Hi,

Apologies if this question's already been asked, but I want to dock the main toolbox - containing the buttons Move, Select, Free Select, Fuzzy Select, Crop Tool, Rotate Tool, Warp Transform, etc. - horizontally and directly beneath the File Menu, instead of vertically to the left side. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!
(Yesterday, 06:24 PM)cookiemix Wrote: Apologies if this question's already been asked, but I want to dock the main toolbox -  containing the buttons Move, Select, Free Select, Fuzzy Select, Crop Tool, Rotate Tool, Warp Transform, etc. - horizontally and directly beneath the File Menu, instead of vertically to the left side. How do I do that?

Do you mean a "ribbon" type menu, as you get with Word / LibreOffice, maybe Inkscape in part.

Well, I faked that although if you were using linux, it is possible in Gimp multi-window mode to have floating docks and pin in place on top of the main window.

You can always ask the Gimp developers to consider your layout as an enhancement 
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
...but do not hold your breath
(Yesterday, 06:59 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 06:24 PM)cookiemix Wrote: Apologies if this question's already been asked, but I want to dock the main toolbox -  containing the buttons Move, Select, Free Select, Fuzzy Select, Crop Tool, Rotate Tool, Warp Transform, etc. - horizontally and directly beneath the File Menu, instead of vertically to the left side. How do I do that?

Do you mean a "ribbon" type menu, as you get with Word / LibreOffice, maybe Inkscape in part.

Well, I faked that although if you were using linux, it is possible in Gimp multi-window mode to have floating docks and pin in place on top of the main window.

You can always ask the Gimp developers to consider your layout as an enhancement 
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
...but do not hold your breath

Yes, exactly like that. I'd've thought a program with this many settings might allow for moving the main toolbox where I want it, horizontal and top of screen beneath the File Menu, just as programs such as Audacity allows users to do with instant ease. Easily draggable menus that can be placed on any side of the program, top, bottom, left or right. That's been a basic UI customisation function in many programs for decades.
(Yesterday, 07:51 PM)cookiemix Wrote: Yes, exactly like that. I'd've thought a program with this many settings might allow for moving the main toolbox where I want it, horizontal and top of screen beneath the File Menu, just as programs such as Audacity allows users to do with instant ease. Easily draggable menus that can be placed on any side of the program, top, bottom, left or right. That's been a basic UI customisation function in many programs for decades.

Ah..but the Gimp Interface goes way back as well.
However, your feature has already been requested
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2973 and https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9313
...but do not hold your breath.
(Yesterday, 08:08 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 07:51 PM)cookiemix Wrote: Yes, exactly like that. I'd've thought a program with this many settings might allow for moving the main toolbox where I want it, horizontal and top of screen beneath the File Menu, just as programs such as Audacity allows users to do with instant ease. Easily draggable menus that can be placed on any side of the program, top, bottom, left or right. That's been a basic UI customisation function in many programs for decades.  

Ah..but the Gimp Interface goes way back as well.
However, your feature has already been requested
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2973  and https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9313
...but do not hold your breath.

I've enjoyed using Gimp for a number of years, and have always recommended it to people - that is until I tried to do simple things with it, such as make it more comfortable to use, as other programs allow me to do.

It seems that in a bid to add a billion convoluted features I'll likely never need to use, the creators of Gimp have omitted basic usage customisation, window management. And at present, it's way more fiddly and aggravating than I'm prepared to deal with. Here's hoping it'll improve in the future.

And the fact that Gimp goes way back, as you said, makes it even worse - that the User eXperience is a very low priority indeed. Quantity over even basic usability.
     Just tried it as rich suggested. But you cant have it in single window mode to do it. I also like to have the pattern/gradient and foreground/background colours in my toolbox but they will not go in that line. Only tools.
So you can make it like that if you wish. Only make sure once you do to go t0 preferences and click on save window positions on exit and save windows now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Smile
(Yesterday, 08:27 PM)cookiemix Wrote: ....snip...And the fact that Gimp goes way back, as you said, makes it even worse - that the User eXperience is a very low priority indeed. Quantity over even basic usability.

The Gimp layout, going back to 25 years to typical linux multi-window mode has developed over time and is both usable and efficient.

It is mostly in the eye of the beholder, There is a long standing push to make Gimp "look" like PS.
IMHO the Gimp devs have not helped with the default black theme / symbolic icons / multiple tabbed docks.

The vital bits for use are the Tool Options and the Layers docks, with paths and channels coming next. The beginner does not really need the Images / Undo History / Device Status tabs above the tools or Document History / Fonts mixed in with the Brushes.

Considering the number of requests for "How do I get the Tool Options Back" from PS wanabees. Lets have a default slimmed down interface with locked tabs and no "remember settings" just for beginners (with a Preferences option to return to a full interface) but I know that will never happen.

Do I want Gimp to mimic PS ? - no. Do I want Gimp to look like Darktable / Rawtherapee / Inkscape with a myriad of icons around the window edges ? - no. You do not have to go far for other views, I remember the Gimp Save / Export controversy which went on for years. The same with other applications and as an example: quote - How do I restore my old Tool Bar - I hate the MS Ribbon - One of the big reasons I use LibreOffice was the old user-friendly tool bar.

Waste of time asking for changes on this forum. No developers here, add your vote to those references I linked.