Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Result that might be related to Color Profiles
(05-22-2024, 04:03 PM)ajax Wrote: The assigned color profile was the "GIMP built in sRGB" Profile which was no surprise.  However, when I went to print the edited version of the picture on my Canon Pixma Pro 100 photo printer the result was drastically different (extremely pale in one case) from what was expected.  I then went back and opened the saved .xcf file and performed an ICC profile conversion to a different profile that I normally use for the resulting image files from my photo editing.  That file printed as expected.  

I can not explain that.  While the Gimp sRGB icc is basic it should not affect the printing. Just out of interest which icc do you normally use.

Quote:This experience makes me think I need to gain a better understanding of the difference between Conversion and Assignment when it comes to color profiles.  I have reviewed the GIMP User Manual but I'm afraid it is no help when trying to understand what is going on in the scenario described herein.  

This one a bit easier, you can check yourself using a sample point.  from left to right.
1. Image had all data removed and Gimp - built in - sRGB used when opened.
2. A new profile, AppleRGB, 'assigned'. The image is unaltered, pixel value remains the same. It is marked as out of gamut.
3. The AppleRGB used for 'converted'. This time the pixel values are changed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strange Result that might be related to Color Profiles - by rich2005 - 05-22-2024, 06:49 PM