Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can this be an unknown file type?
I had no idea that exporting involved the use of plugins.  That does appear to explain the problem.

I have been doing a lot of playing around with plugins as a result of issues I've recently experienced using the GMIC Plugin for GIMP.  It started off with this problem which seemed somewhat benign to me.  After a lot of fiddling around I came to the conclusion that, for me, GMIC was more trouble than it is worth and decided to do without out.  This led to removing references from the Preferences>Folders.  For this instance of GIMP it looks like that included the main plugin folder for GIMP (i.e., the one named .\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plugins).

Adding that folder back to Preferences has fixed the problem.

(06-14-2024, 07:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @Ajax

Just a query, you have folders such as portableapps / GIMP 2  / Public (\\MyCloud...) Is Gimp a regular installation using the Windows installer from gimp.org ?

I do run GIMP in portable fashion from USB drives as discussed in this recent post.  In fact I was working on trying to correct that problem that lead to this one.  It might be worth pointing out that one of my experiments involved trying to use the GIMP environment variable name GIMP2_PLUGINDIR that was also involved.  I was unable to achieve any success by setting that variable.  I do use my own scripts for starting GIMP which I expected would make this pretty easy but I wasn't able to locate GMIC using it.  I have been using the GIMP2_DIRECTORY variable with good success.

One thing that is NOT clear when it comes to the GMIC Plugin for GIMP is what directory should be specified.  I notice that there does NOT seem to be any directory named "plugins" in the path which seems to be common in other cases.  Based on what seemed to work when included in the Preferences folder list for plugins it would be the directory the contains the sub-directory named "gmic_gimp_qt" but when that value was used for the GIMP2_PLUGINDIR variable the GMIC plugin was NOT present on the "Filters" drop down menu.

Messages In This Thread
How can this be an unknown file type? - by ajax - 06-13-2024, 09:22 PM
RE: How can this be an unknown file type? - by ajax - 06-14-2024, 08:53 PM