Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to Leave Ubuntu - don't update to 24.04
On Upgrading

Just starting to try out a kubuntu 24.04 (as a VM). It does have a minimal installation option which is beneficial when it it comes to finding required dependencies and rolling back failed experiments. There is a Gimp 2.10.38 in the Panda Jim PPA and that installs but no python2. A couple of attempts at installing old python2 packages failed with broken dependencies.

Fortunately kubuntu 24.04 can still install Synaptic package manager. For whatever reason snapd is not installed (a blessing) but apparmor is. Uninstall that to get the Gimp 2.99.19 appimage working. Those packages libfuse2t64 and libfuse3-3 are installed.

Your Gimp 2.10.38 works fine both stand-alone and as a launcher for the PPA version. Why both ? I do need a printer (& scanner) plus preferably the gutenprint package and never had much luck getting those working with an appimage. I can run the python-less Gimp for scanning / printing.

Will I be installing a kubuntu 24.04 soon ? Probably not. I am writing this on a kubuntu 20.04 machine where everything I need works, including some (very old) stuff. I do have a laptop with kubuntu 22.04 where nearly everything works and still gets large security updates with monotonous regularity.

I always ask myself, do I need the latest-and-greatest, and come up with the not really answer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to Leave Ubuntu - don't update to 24.04 - by rich2005 - 06-18-2024, 08:12 AM