Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export settings for print on demand
(10-16-2024, 08:30 PM)Luperoni Wrote: Hello,

I'm new to creating prints for my original paintings and have some questions about file exporting. 

I'm using Gelato and they mention a couple things. First is 300 DPI which it is so thats cool. Second is that I should export the file as a PDF/X4. Is that just PDF? I dont see an X4 option in the File Types menu when exporting. 

Third it mentions "If working in RGB, tag your image files with an sRGB profile. When exporting, save them as PDF/X4 files with a "GRACoL2006_Coated1v2.icc" output intent to maintain color fidelity."

I downloaded that color assignment and tried assigning it to my image but I got an error that says: ICC profile validation failed: Color profile is not for RGB color space"

Do I need to export as a PDF first, then assign the color profile? What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any help!

Well, you are a bit limited using MacOS. Should really be using expensive Ad*be stuff, PS and Acrobat.

As you have found, Gimp 2.10 is a RGB editor. The 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi aka dpi) comes from an accepted value for a "photo" quality print. Check in Gimp with Image-> Print Size

You can get a PDF out of Gimp but it will be RGB color space and a bit over size. PDF X4 is a CMYK format.

The (free) tool to use is Scribus https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/ and there is a dmg package.

Scribus has probably a steeper learning curve than Gimp, there is a wiki for information. To get you started the attached pdf (remember to unzip it) has some screenshots.
(1) Scribus is "frame based" make an image frame and add the image exported from Gimp (jpeg / tiff - png - up to you) to that.
(2) Lots of setting up in preferences, colour management for the printer .icc 
(3) Set up PDF for the printer (otherwise PDF X4 is greyed out)
(4) Then when you come to Export as a PDF you can choose PDF X4 from the pdf compatibility.

Attached Files
.zip   scribus.pdf.zip (Size: 336.75 KB / Downloads: 8)

Messages In This Thread
Export settings for print on demand - by Luperoni - 10-16-2024, 08:30 PM
RE: Export settings for print on demand - by rich2005 - Yesterday, 08:15 AM