Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal, Docked Toolbox
(Yesterday, 08:27 PM)cookiemix Wrote: ....snip...And the fact that Gimp goes way back, as you said, makes it even worse - that the User eXperience is a very low priority indeed. Quantity over even basic usability.

The Gimp layout, going back to 25 years to typical linux multi-window mode has developed over time and is both usable and efficient.

It is mostly in the eye of the beholder, There is a long standing push to make Gimp "look" like PS.
IMHO the Gimp devs have not helped with the default black theme / symbolic icons / multiple tabbed docks.

The vital bits for use are the Tool Options and the Layers docks, with paths and channels coming next. The beginner does not really need the Images / Undo History / Device Status tabs above the tools or Document History / Fonts mixed in with the Brushes.

Considering the number of requests for "How do I get the Tool Options Back" from PS wanabees. Lets have a default slimmed down interface with locked tabs and no "remember settings" just for beginners (with a Preferences option to return to a full interface) but I know that will never happen.

Do I want Gimp to mimic PS ? - no. Do I want Gimp to look like Darktable / Rawtherapee / Inkscape with a myriad of icons around the window edges ? - no. You do not have to go far for other views, I remember the Gimp Save / Export controversy which went on for years. The same with other applications and as an example: quote - How do I restore my old Tool Bar - I hate the MS Ribbon - One of the big reasons I use LibreOffice was the old user-friendly tool bar.

Waste of time asking for changes on this forum. No developers here, add your vote to those references I linked.

Messages In This Thread
Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by cookiemix - Yesterday, 06:24 PM
RE: Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by rich2005 - Yesterday, 06:59 PM
RE: Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by cookiemix - Yesterday, 07:51 PM
RE: Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by rich2005 - Yesterday, 08:08 PM
RE: Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by cookiemix - Yesterday, 08:27 PM
RE: Horizontal, Docked Toolbox - by rich2005 - 2 hours ago