Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any file formats that support multi-layer images?
I ran some tests when exporting as .psd.  I think .psd will be my new standard file type with Gimp 2.9.   Gimp 2.8 can open them, although I don't know what will happen with the new layer modes . . . It appears to just translate them into the closest old modes.

Modes like 'pin light' just translate into 'normal' for Gimp 2.8.  That's fine with me, because it is better than NOT OPENING AT ALL with the new .xcf format in Gimp 2.8.

Unfortunately we can't have masks on groups, but at least we can have groups now!  Wow this is about as happy a discovery I've made in a long time with Gimp.

And it looks like It does save channels (along with color channels) in the .psd.  Tested in Gimp 2.8 and Photoshop, although I had an issue with Krita.  Sometimes layers tend to lock themselves when loading into PS.

Of course I never expect 100% compatibility with .psd files, but this is a huge step forward for me!  I prefer to use Gimp whenever possible, and someone asks for a .psd file it was like, 'Damn, okay let me open my file in Krita and save it as a .psd.' 

Very, very happy with this!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any file formats that support multi-layer images? - by mholder - 09-06-2017, 11:57 PM