Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about PPI inb GIMP
Hi, I've just started to use GIMP. I scanned in an image at 1200 DPI. The document is 6 x 8.5 inches but when I open the document in GIMP the "set to canvas size" shows the size to be double but 300 ppi so I'm confused about the sizing. Another image/document I scanned in at 600 dpi is the correct size on GIMP (6 x 8.5 inc) but the dpi is 300 - surely it should be 600 dpi or double the size? Can someone please explain this to me? Am I looking at the wrong place to find the size of my document? I need to generate digital prints at the largest size possible at 300 dpi. I'm on a MAC. Thank you
(06-03-2024, 02:31 PM)vixko Wrote: Hi, I've just started to use GIMP. I scanned in an image at 1200 DPI. The document is 6 x 8.5 inches but when I open the document in GIMP the "set to canvas size" shows the size to be double but 300 ppi so I'm confused about the sizing. Another image/document I scanned in at 600 dpi is the correct size on GIMP (6 x 8.5 inc) but the dpi is 300 - surely it should be 600 dpi or double the size? Can someone please explain this to me? Am I looking at the wrong place to find the size of my document? I need to generate digital prints at the largest size possible at 300 dpi. I'm on a MAC. Thank you

First Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor that works in pixels. If you look at the top of Gimp, the title bar, it shows the image size in pixels.

The calculation real-world units to pixels is easy enough. Inches x pixels-per-inch (ppi) = pixels. so for 6" x 8.5"
1200 ppi = 7200 x 10200 pix  600 ppi = 3600 x 5100 pix ....and so on

Quote:when I open the document in GIMP the "set to canvas size" shows the size to be double but 300 ppi

What exactly are you doing here ? If you are opening in Gimp "as layers" or copy / pasting into a stock template (such as US letter or A4) then the template ppi (300) is used.

Then what format are the scans ? png / jpeg / tif or maybe PDF ?

Those bits of info will enable some help.
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp