Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G’MIC 3.4 crashed as soon as it loads
I have a pc with MX Linux 23.3, GIMP 2.20.38 (AppImage) downloaded from here, and G’MIC 3.4 downloaded from here (the deb file did not work, downloaded a zip file and unzipped it), after loading an image, click on menu > Filters > G’MIC-Qt, got a crash message

ps: already restarted GIMP several times with the same result.

How can I troubleshoot this problem (new to G’MIC/GIMP, not an expert in Linux).

[Image: 382b0b32a4089d0316c6e1633fd2daa3813797cd.png]

So that is a https://github.com/ivan-hc/GIMP-AppImage/ Gimp 2.10.38 and a gimp_gmic_qt as a (Debian ?) zip
Those ivan-hc appimages are a strange hybrid that while they work, they do not originate from Debian. That is probably why that gimp_gmic_qt plugin fails. The other one is the QT factor. You do need to install that your self.

In the meantime I would try the Debian version from here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-new-gi...th-python2

I do have a MX-Linux 23 VM but (yesterday & today) busy swopping this computer from kubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 so a bit between installations at the moment...but I will try and see what works once I get VirtualBox up-and-running.
OK, Nothing wrong with the ivan-hc Gimp (I try-out the Gimp 2.99.19 dev from there) edit: but no python / no gmic

I would still change to the alternative gimp-2-10-38-fuse-overlay-py2.AppImage (1) from https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...p-v2.10.38

You do need to install fuse-overlayfs (2)  The gimp_gmic_qt 3.4.0 comes from the Debian 12 version gmic_3.4.0_gimp2.10_debian12_bookworm_amd64.zip  Unzip that and put the whole folder (plugin + read me) in your Gimp plugins folder (3)  As mentioned before it does require qt files and there are a lot of those (4), they are probably already there but......

All being well.

(06-30-2024, 01:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You do need to install fuse-overlayfs (2)  The gimp_gmic_qt 3.4.0 comes from the Debian 12 version gmic_3.4.0_gimp2.10_debian12_bookworm_amd64.zip  Unzip that and put the whole folder (plugin + read me) in your Gimp plugins folder (3)  As mentioned before it does require qt files and there are a lot of those (4), they are probably already there but......
Thanks so much for your help, did as instructed and this solved the crash problem, the fuse-overlayfs was not there, so I installed it through Synaptic, but the qt file showed on your 4 were not there, should I install it? So far it's working (haven't used it, at least it's not crashing). As you said, it's lot of files and probably only partial list was shown on your picture, what's the main package (which contains all those files?)
Quote:...snip...the qt file showed on your 4 were not there, should I install it? ...

No. If gimp_gmic_qt plugin is working then you already have (at least the basic) QT5 installed. For info the package that pulls most of the lib files in is libqt5corexx
(06-30-2024, 05:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:No. If gimp_gmic_qt plugin is working then you already have (at least the basic) QT5 installed.  For info the package that pulls most of the lib files in is libqt5corexx
Thank you so much for your help.