Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase small preview window
I'm in the process of designing scroll saw patterns from original photos of my three brothers using Gimp.
I need larger glimspe of their faces to ensure the best cut lines for the pattern.
Here's where I am asking for your assistance....
When I desaturate the photo I then proceed to go to Filters/Artistic/Photocopy (legacy) then voila a small preview
Photocopy 4"X4" window pops up. This size preview is difficult to get a good visual of the whole face.
I really need a larger shot of the face to design a quality scroll saw pattern.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Eugene
(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)ebernard Wrote: I'm in the process of designing scroll saw patterns from original photos of my three brothers using Gimp.
I need larger glimspe of their faces to ensure the best cut lines for the pattern.
When I desaturate the photo I then proceed to go to Filters/Artistic/Photocopy (legacy) then voila a small preview
Photocopy 4"X4" window pops up. This size preview is difficult to get a good visual of the whole face.

The short answer is you can't.  The old legacy photocopy comes from an era when images were smaller and that preview was adequate. (It is possible to increase the preview size by re-compiling the plugin but not easy)

I see the problem with the newer GEGL photocopy, nothing like the legacy version.

You might get something a little closer, all depends on the images.
(1) Desaturate as before
(2) Duplicate the layer and put the mode into divide. That gives you a blank canvas, do not worry
(3) Use the Neon edge detect filter Filters -> Edge Detect -> Neon and adjust the Intensity slider and you might get something similar to the legacy photocopy.

(Yesterday, 04:33 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)ebernard Wrote: I'm in the process of designing scroll saw patterns from original photos of my three brothers using Gimp.

The short answer is you can't.  The old legacy photocopy comes from an era when images were smaller and that preview was adequate. (It is possible to increase the preview size by re-compiling the plugin but not easy)

I see the problem with the newer GEGL photocopy, nothing like the legacy version.

You might get something a little closer, all depends on the images.
(1) Desaturate as before
(2) Duplicate the layer and put the mode into divide. That gives you a blank canvas, do not worry
(3) Use the Neon edge detect filter Filters -> Edge Detect -> Neon and adjust the Intensity slider and you might get something similar to the legacy photocopy.

Thanks so much for your quick response and a very excellent solution.
Now I can proceed to get my three photos ready for scroll saw cutting. My sister will be surprise to receive the 
three cuttings of our deceased brothers.
Thanks a million
Eugene
(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)ebernard Wrote: then voila a small preview

Just increase the size of the window vertically AND horizontally, the preview will increase

Patrice
That works as well thanks Patrice now off to work I go, have a good one
Eugene