Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation issue
I'm having issues installing Gimp on my new computer: a Lenovo Ideacentre 710 running Windows 10.  When attempting to start the installation, I get an error message saying:

"Folder names cannot include any of the following characters: / : * ? < > l".

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I've tried several versions of Gimp and I keep hitting the same wall.
1) Where did you get the installer? (URL?)
2) What Gimp version?

AFAIK the default install in Windows is in "C:\Program FIles\GIMP2" and there is nothing under that with strange characters in the name....
1. I downloaded from the GIMP site; using the regular (non-bit-torrent) version. Is there a recommended site from which to download?

2. I tried version 2.8.20 first; when it didn't work I tried 2.8.16, which didn't work either.
Strange, can you try to force the install to some specific directory (c:\Gimp2 or else).
I'm too stupid to know how to do that...as soon as I click on the icon, the auto-install program begins and I don't know how to take control of it.
IIRC somewhere in the first panels you should be able to choose some non-default install, and the install directory.

But can you make a screen shot with the error message (and anything else on the screen that could be pertinent)?
(04-14-2017, 12:38 PM)chicoruiz Wrote: I'm too stupid to know how to do that...as soon as I click on the icon, the auto-install program begins and I don't know how to take control of it.

Come on, you can do it.

This in Win10 but similar for earlier versions. Trying to make a folder with those characters in the name will generate an error.

[Image: HA110EA.jpg]

Have a look at the first video here: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-In...202#pid202 and see if you can follow the installation.
I posted  other questiosn  about arakne-quide-lab
but it works on my PC W11 as well
as  different plugin using the guide-lab but added a lot
of other things. e.g. do paint on crossing points of guide
differen things.But now the real question: W11 is running on main hdsk C:o

: my   but I have as secon hdsk (with lot of space, installed as hdsk d:  Iwould like to have
gimp on D: and to free space of gimp on C:

If possible at all, what are the steps i would have to do

Greets Peter ,
an own try does not work the same as gimp on C;  reason for this quesrion  ;-)
(09-21-2024, 10:33 AM)PKHG_old Wrote: ...snip....
...but I have as secon hdsk (with lot of space, installed as hdsk d:  Iwould like to have
gimp on D: and to free space of gimp on C:

If possible at all, what are the steps i would have to do

Greets Peter ,
an own try does not work the same as gimp on C;  reason for this quesrion  ;-)  

A Gimp 2.10 installation uses about 1 GB on disk

Windows installer will find an existing Gimp installation and install in the same location as a update.

My advice for moving to a new location is:

(1) uninstall Gimp. You can use the Windows uninstall menu or go to the Gimp uninst folder and run unins000.exe - Up to you.
(2) That never gets rid of the Gimp 2 folder, so restart Windows and then delete that folder.

(3) Now run the Gimp installer, use the customise option and when you get to Select Destination Location put in where you want the installation D:\GIMP 2 for example
(4) Start Gimp up and look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders. You still have your old User folders in Appdata\Roaming with any plugins you previously installed. I would keep that.

It is possible to add more locations for plugins / scripts / fonts.... and move resources out of  Appdata\Roaming but get the new install working first.