Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print problem
(10-08-2024, 05:48 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 04:29 PM)annewilson Wrote: Long time since I used GIMP, so almost newbie-dumb.  I am trying to print an 8x10 image with feathered margins. 

Quote: Does that mean that the image print size is 8"x 10"  What shows in Image -> Print Size This my example.

The paper is 8"x 10".  What I want to achieve is very similar to the image you show - a full frame print with a soft edge.  It's a memorial photo for my late husband

Quote:I have no preview, which makes it a long-winded problem. 

Quote: Is that the Gimp Print dialogue That is File -> Print then Image Settings.  There was a problem with the Windows little preview window being blank, but I think that was fixed.  Are you using the latest Gimp 2.10.38 ? {/quote]

Yes, 2.10.38 Revision 1 under Windows 11.  As soon as I hit Print it switches to the Windows print dialogue, and says "No preview available"

EDIT:  If using Windows 11, that might be the problem.  Some reports along the lines of: In Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft has replaced the legacy Print Dialog for all classic (win32) apps. Looking at the Gimp 2.10 Windows printing plugins then file-print  Print the image using the GTK+ Print API and it probably using the Gimp 32 bit section. But I do knot know since I do not have a Win11 machine.

Quote:After many attempts I still have a large margin at the top and no or almost no margin at the bottom.  Can someone please point me to the dialogue I should be altering? 

Quote:A bit more information on Image size and resolution needed to give a sensible reply.

I tried to add a screenshot, but maybe it was too big.  I'll play with this part, basing my attempts on the one you provided.

Quote:Any hints for printing would be gratefully received.

Quote:Truthfully, Windows Gimp print plugin is old and not so good. Often it is better to use something else to print. LibreOffice or XnViewMP for example.

I did think of that, but I haven't managed to sort the feathering yet.  My latest effort has wide margins (maybe caused by my attempts to feather it?).  I don't have the option of going back to Linux for some time, but still hope to get there in a few months.  Meanwhile I'm struggling.

Messages In This Thread
Print problem - by annewilson - 10-08-2024, 04:29 PM
RE: Print problem - by rich2005 - 10-08-2024, 05:48 PM
RE: Print problem - by annewilson - 10-10-2024, 03:56 PM
RE: Print problem - by rich2005 - 10-10-2024, 05:19 PM
RE: Print problem - by rich2005 - 10-11-2024, 09:28 AM